NetworkManager and Verizon Wireless 3g card

Hi, I’m having an issue with openSUSE 11.1 under both Gnome AND KDE4 (haven’t tested KDE3; assuming the same issue). The card is properly recognized by the system.

Dec 21 00:37:47 justin kernel: usb usb7: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0001
Dec 21 00:37:47 justin kernel: usb usb7: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
Dec 21 00:37:47 justin kernel: usb usb7: Product: OHCI Host Controller
Dec 21 00:37:47 justin kernel: usb usb7: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.27.7-9-pae ohci_hcd
Dec 21 00:37:47 justin kernel: usb usb7: SerialNumber: 0000:03:00.1
Dec 21 00:37:48 justin kernel: usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: cdc_acm 6-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: usb 6-1: New USB device found, idVendor=106c, idProduct=3701
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: usb 6-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: usb 6-1: Product: Curitel Communications, Inc.
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin kernel: usb 6-1: Manufacturer: Curitel Communications, Inc.
Dec 21 00:37:49 justin modem-manager: Added modem /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_106c_3701_noserial_if0_serial_unknown_0

It shows up under NetworkManager as an auto mobile broadband CDMA connection (Gnome). I try using auto (Gnome) and specifying the options (Gnome and KDE). When attempting to dial using NetworkManager; I get this error in /var/log/messages:

Dec 21 00:40:35 justin modem-manager: (/dev/ttyACM0) opening serial device…
Dec 21 00:40:35 justin modem-manager: Closing device ‘/dev/ttyACM0’

This card is activated; works fine in Windows; and works fine under openSUSE 10.3 and openSUSE 11.0. Computer is a Dell Latitude D520; 32-bit release; no updates (and patched) release. I can provide more info as needed.

I’m havng touble with nm 7 too in 11.1.

My USB modem(Samsung SCH i760 cell phone) worked perfectly in 10.3 using NM.

I can connect fine using wvdial but NetworkManager 7 will not dial.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this ?

I am using a Verizon UM150 to access the forum with right now .
In Network Manger you have to enter the same info as for kppd dial up connection , ph# (#777), account (your area code + tel number @vzw3g.com) and password (vzw) and I put 230400 instead of 115200 , seems to work but not as fast as 11.0 was and get DNS errors quite frequently , can’t set idle time delay disconnect so if idle it will disconnect , don’t like that .
YaST2 has a time with repositories , packman and oss are still down .
Don’t know if smppdd has to be active , it does for dial up but not sure for Net Man .

Do like I do, install kinternet, then run the Yast / Network Devices / Modems “wizard”. You may want to increase the baud rate to 11500 and you might also need to enter the location of the device if it’s not detected. My PCMCIA Kyocera unit is /dev/ttyUSB0.

Then connect with kinternet. I like kinternet because I can monitor the terminal info, plus keep an eye on the data rate.

gib62588 wrote:
> can’t set idle time delay disconnect so if idle it will
> disconnect , don’t like that .
I had the similar issue and eventually found that the default
idle 600 time-out is set by following config file:
/etc/ppp/options
Look for ‘idle 600’ (10Min) and replace with something more suitable,
e.g. 1800/3600.

> YaST2 has a time with repositories , packman and oss are still down .
I just installed 11.1 Gnome (i686) from live cd and find that
Yast2/Package Kit package manager often hangs on the repos but
Zypper seems to do much better. Try Zypper and see how you go.

Thanks , did the /etc/ppp/options edit , funny SuSE use to let you do root terminal and invoke kwrite without leaving runlevel 5 .
Will have to use Zypper if YaST2 does not stop it’s hanging act .
Thanks again jmartini .

gib62588 wrote:
> Thanks , did the /etc/ppp/options edit , funny SuSE use to let you do
> root terminal and invoke kwrite without leaving runlevel 5 .

For Kde3, the following should do the job:
code: kdesu kwrite

In Kde3, I normally launch Konqueror from run command with following:
code: kdesu konqueror
…and then check and edit (plus duplicate and backup) what I need to,
e.g. fstab, menu.lst, xorg.conf, etc.

In Gnome, I can launch Nautilus from root console and do same as above.
If you can not do same, check your security settings.

This forum being the internet section, I think we should not further
pursue kwrite issues here.

Cheers

In KDE3 you could open terminal>su>password>kwrite /etc/ppp/options and open the file in root an edit , save , and done , but KDE4 will not bring up kwrite from root terminal command , non root yes (user) .