Network detection fails to find Canon Scanner

Having installed a Canon GX6050 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier in my LAN network and scangearmp2 (4.20-1), I am having no success finding the scanner in the network. The printer is working as expected.

A Canon Maxify MB5450 (also 3-in1) had been working previously without problems in my network until it broke.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this issue ?

Is there perhaps a firewall setting that needs attention?

Try stopping the firewall temporarily to test scanning via the network-connected device.

1 Like

FWIW, here’s a Canon page listing relevant ports for various services:
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART174139

In particular for scanning it is mentioned:
TCP / UDP 8612 Canon BJNP port for scanning (Applicable models only)

1 Like

Stopping the firewall and running scangearmp2 finds the scanner. But even then the Gnome Document Scanner doesn’t find the scanner.

As far as I understand (not a Canon owner), scangearmp(2) provides it’s own graphical scanning utility, which you must use. The SANE front-ends won’t work in this situation.

Opening port 8612 for scangearmp2 for both UDP and TCP does not make the scanner visible.

How about if the firewall is disabled temporarily?

1 Like

Do you know the IP address of the printer? Are you able to ping it?

1 Like

Yes, as in my earlier post, the printer function works. So, of course, ping works for the device IP address.
Scangearmp2 finds the scanner if I stop the firewall and then I can scan via the LAN to my desktop.

Is there perhaps a setting somewhere to receive the bonjour service name of the printer ?

Show us how your existing firewall is configured.

If you are behind an internet gateway, you could decide to allow a trusted source (assuming that you know the multifunction device IP). For example

sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --add-source=192.168.1.100 --zone=public
sudo firewall-cmd --reload

Change the IP address and zone to match your requirements.

1 Like

All my devices are in my home network on a single router. it could hardly be simpler.

Firewall commands were successful for my printer/scanner IP and home zone, but scangearmp2 resolutely fails to find the scanner.

By the way, where has this IP value been stored?

I’m not sure I quite understand you here. The multifunction device can be configured to use a static IP address, or likely in your case (if you haven’t undertaken any explicit steps to do so), it is likely DHCP assigned (by the home router). A common approach is to use MAC reservation (router configuration), so that a given peripheral device is assigned a particular IP address at power up.

Show us the current working firewall configuration as already requested. Is mdns allowed?

Try add lp to the group

That should not be needed. It won’t help at all with discovery, and this is not a USB-connected device (where udev is involved to assign device node access).

1 Like