need to configure lamp server for sending mail

I have a LAMP server and need a web page to send email messages. I could do it with my Win 2k server through my cable service but can’t seem to get it to work here.

k2zs wrote:
> I have a LAMP server and need a web page to send email messages. I could
> do it with my Win 2k server through my cable service but can’t seem to
> get it to work here.

are you asking how to html embed a “mailto:” link? or are you asking
how to make a page with an html form allowing one to type directly
into the page, and then hit a send button…

actually, either way you go (if either of those is what you wanna do)
is a matter of basic html coding and has nothing to do with what kind
of server it is on…(that is, the page you made for your Win 2k
server should work on apache…except of course it probably does not
follow W3 standards–since very few pages made by Redmond ever do…)

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

I am trying to process a form that uploads a news letter and sends an email through my through my smtp mail provider that the news letter is available. The email only has to go to one email address for our club email reflector. I tried using the mail() function but no luck.

Look in postfix’s log file /var/log/mail to see if it was handed the mail and where the mail ended up. Usually you have to configure postfix to relay through your ISP’s mail hub, as consumer broadband is often blocked from sending out email directly.

var/log/mail is empty. Where would I find info on configuring postfix and what is it?

I do see that it is installed (in yast)

It probably means that the mail() function never even managed to give the mail to postfix. It’s important not to try to configure /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini yourself wrt the mail handling because that part works out of the box. Perhaps you changed it because you imported some Windows settings. Put the mail settings in php.ini back the way they were out of the box.

I assume you have also checked /var/log/apache2/error_log to make sure your form didn’t hit any errors.

I know it is possible to send email via smtp through a web page being served by my server because I tried installing Joomla as an experiment and set the Joomla server settings to send out email through my cable providers smtp server and it worked. Can someone please show me some sample script that will send mail using the native php mail() and use smtp authentication?

mail() by itself won’t handle SMTP authentication. You probably have to configure the local postfix to do this and hand it off to postfix.

You might also be able to find some Pear library to do authenticated SMTP.

I figured that but Pear’s documentation is totally confusing to me and I can’t figure out what they are saying. I am afraid of installing pear for fear of damaging my live server. I guess I should sign up on the pear forum and ask there as what I am asking is above the scope of this forum.