Need help with Restricted formats

Hi,
I have been going through all the help files I can including here
I just can’t get it going. I will post any info just give me a command and I will post results. I just want to be able to play movies and music and stuff.

You did not mention which version of openSUSE you are using, but the guide you mention does change based on the openSUSE version and most users have been able to follow the guide successfully.

I have created a script file that can do some checking for you, if you feel up to it. Look at message #18 for the most recent script version of mmcheck.

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Run the script and tell us of any items that did not work as suggested.

Thank You,

That’s all way too much reading and overcomplicated, go here:

openSUSE 11.3 | SUSE Linux | Beginner’s guide to multimedia codecs

You can use the ‘one-click’ or just use the code at the bottom of the page. :wink:

“solved” after unsuccessfully trying to uninstall the vlan files. Which I guess had a lot of conflicts with my other software files resulting in an error filled desktop that would not start after reboot. I decided to just reinstall. I used the OpenSUSE network install disk. I added the necessary repos for multimedia. I also added the ones for printing, nvida drivers, openoffice, and various other STABLE repos. I proceed with the install when I got to the software package portion I then manually added all the files for multimedia, which you have to do this it will not auto select them. I finished install booted no more choppiness and it runs multimedia, graphics just fine. Also I had put my /home directory on my external usb drive and I still retained my original desktop settings example would be kontact. I know this was not the best solution but after trying to remove the vlan files it just opened another can of worms. Thanks for the help guys and gals.