My feedback on OpenSuSe 11.2 in virtualbox

Hello,

Here I would like to submit small feedback/review on OpenSuSe 11.2 GNOME Live CD. :slight_smile:

I just installed OpenSuSe GNOME cd in virtualbox software.
Everything went smooth. My laptop has 2.5 GB ddr II ram & T2400 processor.

I assigned 16 gb space for this virtual machine.
Boot time is a bit slow for this version may be due my 5400 RPM hdd. I have assigned 1 gb ram for this virtual machines.

This GNOME installer formatted my virtual drives with ext4 file system. Interesting. 1 bad thing it kept trying to download pakages from repo after installation. I unplugged network cable to stop that activity. I click on Abort option several times but it kept switching to alternate links which was annoying.

After installtion, 1st thing I downloaded yum installer of adobe flash player but package maneger kept saying downloading, I closed it and downloaded gz file and copied to > /usr/lib/browser plug-ins folder to make youttube work. Sound drivers are installed by default. And no glich found while playing online audio/video files so far.

I configured my Intel wireless adapter as bridge as I am connected to an wi-fi router through my wireless card. No problem to access internet from SuSe.

How ever I dont no why, I am not able to ping my flaky Windows 7 Host OS. Not also able to ping. Although I am on bridge means host & guest both OS are in same subnet. I tried turning off all firewalls on in win 7 and checked file & sharing options & enabled all. Once only I was able to access. :expressionless:

Over all experience is good except search in new GNOME isnt much good. I like search option in 11.1 KDE. It would show me specific application whiletypical exact name like say konsole or firefox etc.

Rest is awesome as always. lol!

I will soon write more about my experience in wine & vpn etc.

Regards,
Amey

Wrong. You should NOT prevent it from downloading updates.

Again, you did it the wrong way. flash-player is included in the SuSE non-oss repository which is enabled by default and if you install it by hand you’re exposing the system to possible security implications because the automatic update no longer handles the package.

Install it with zypper in flash-player or via YAST / Software Management. NEVER install packages by hand unless there is absolutely no other option and even then look at the OBS first.

I prevented it because I am on 128 KBps slow broadband link. :expressionless:

I tried to find flash player via Yast but it failed to locate the package. I am a bit confused from which option to find the package. It showed me default oss repo path while running Yast pkg manager for 1st time.

Can you/some 1 tell me absoloute path? I am always confused with this Yast GUI based update manager.

You said security exploit. How? :open_mouth: I switched to root via konsole and copied that libflashplayer.so file to that folder.

Regards,
Amey.

You can mark packages like flashplayer as ‘taboo’ never to be installed. A stub is included for convenience of most users.

My hit list are :

hplip & hplip-hpijs
beagle & beagle-index
compiz & libcompizconfig

Things like Adobe flash whilst objectionable are needed for Browsing web these days.

Also I let it download the MS fonts.

One advantage of openSUSE over other offerings, is that updates are done via delta rpm’s (only the minimimum changes have to be downloaded) so it’ll be well worth find the “Download in Advance” option described in the Release Notes, and running a “zypper patch” when your connection isn’t needed for other things.

# zyypper patch

If you’re connected to the net, files get downloaded which could exploit flaws in browser code, so then you really do need to accept updates. Also updates later will fix annoying bugs, not just security issues.

I would suspect the slow boot times, are due to running ext4 in virtual disk under Windows 7; when I recalculate WEI in a Virtual Box in past, the disk access for Windows was faster than when it runs on the real hardware, thanks to Linux’s technical superiority in file & disk subsystem.

When you install things in Windows, they are ALWAYS exceedingly fragmented as it reuses deleted files, so you should defrag, it’s very possible those virtual disks, from fresh install are horribly badly laid out leading to excessive seeks.

Have a look with ‘Defraggler’, its a neat defragger for 'dows and lets you select particular files to defrag, and you can even see where they are roughly on the disk, a real eye opener.

On 11/15/2009 05:36 AM, sco1984 wrote:
>
> Chrysantine;2067153 Wrote:
>> Wrong. You should NOT prevent it from downloading updates.
>>
>>
>> Again, you did it the wrong way. flash-player is included in the SuSE
>> non-oss repository which is enabled by default and if you install it by
>> hand you’re exposing the system to possible security implications
>> because the automatic update no longer handles the package.
>>
>> Install it with zypper in flash-player or via YAST / Software
>> Management. NEVER install packages by hand unless there is absolutely no
>> other option and even then look at the OBS first.
>
> I prevented it because I am on 128 KBps slow broadband link. :expressionless:
>
> I tried to find flash player via Yast but it failed to locate the
> package. I am a bit confused from which option to find the package. It
> showed me default oss repo path while running Yast pkg manager for 1st
> time.
>
> Can you/some 1 tell me absoloute path? I am always confused with this
> Yast GUI based update manager.

This works really well:

http://software.opensuse.org/search

Type in “flash” in the search field…after it’s finished searching,
select the 1Click Install for flash-player.

Then follow the instructions that appear on your screen. :slight_smile: