Multiple IP's

I am trying to setup a range of ip’s on one of the Nics on my Suse box. It will be our new plesk server. Can someone point me in the direction to add this range of IP’s to the nic. Like I would like to have for instance 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.50 on the NIC. Thanks in advance for any help.

I guess you don’t set this at your NIC level but at your router/server level??

Although you can restrict possible IP’s by setting it to a static address and add that range (you can’t actually put a range but you can put every IP You want it to have). I guess to have it working you’d need to setup the default route and change the IP. If nothing is restricting Your connection like a router/dhcp server then it should work just fine.

lunchboxfl wrote:

> I am trying to setup a range of ip’s on one of the Nics on my Suse box.
> It will be our new plesk server. Can someone point me in the direction
> to add this range of IP’s to the nic. Like I would like to have for
> instance 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.50 on the NIC. Thanks in advance for
> any help.

IIRC, YaST network card module should allow you to get that.

At least when using “ifup” (traditional method) this option is available
under nic’s configuration. Not sure if the same option is available when
using netwokmanager, though :-?.

Greetings,

Camaleón

You can bind multiple IPs to a NIC. There are some comments in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg.template that suggest that what you need to do is add lines like this to /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 of the form:

IPADDR_1=192.168.1.5
IPADDR_2=192.168.1.6

and so on. BTW it doesn’t have to be _1, _2, etc, just unique suffixes. I haven’t tried this, but it should be easy to verify.

Another way might simply be to add an init script that runs after the interface comes up and calls the “ip” utility to bind additional addresses in a bash loop.

I have done this through YAST as Camaleón suggests.

Just list the IP addresses you wish to bind.
Configure your Default router (Gateway router)
Don’t forget to configure your DNS servers and to check the option to update your Hosts file with the Hostname you enter.

Afterwards, verify both the Hosts file entry and run ifconfig.

HTH,
Tony