Mtp device won't mount properly - but can be read (sometimes)

I have an Onyx Boox Tab Mini C e-reader which is supposed to mount as an mtp device. When I plug it in, it shows up on the Disks & Devices Widget. When I click on the option to open it in the file manager I receive the error message “Malformed URL mtp:udi=/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-10/1-10.2/1-10.2.1/.” However, if I open dolphin itself and click on the device in the device list in the sidebar, I can access it perfectly - most of the time. Even so, when I click on it in the device widget, I still get the same error message.

This isn’t the only problem. Calibre, which I use to manage my ebook library will not recognize the device. But here is the kicker – if I simply open a session of Windows 10 in a VMWare virtual machine, while Calibre is open in OpenSuse, the virtual machine and OpenSuse will fight over possession of the device until - low and behold - is recognized by Calibre running in OpenSuse. I can then close the VMWare machine and Calibre will still have the device mounted and useable. I am betting this is related to the malformed URL error, but don’t know how to diagnose it.

Possibly reader uses USB 2.0, which may have some incompatibilities with USB 3.x.
Try to use USB 2.0 port on PC and USB type C - to - USB type A cable.

It is an intermittent sort of thing. I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port as you suggested and it worked properly. However, after I disconnected it and reconnected it did not work properly. It does seem like the computer sort of recognizes it. I can access it through Dolphin directly, where it shows up as a device in any USB port. However, when I try to access it through the device notifier, I get the error message I noted.