mounting all messed up... dont know what to do.

I booted into gnome and turned the drive on. It gave an error something like this.

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown(0,0) Failed to mount ‘/dev/sdc1’ : Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action: Choice 1: if you have Windows then disconnnect the external devices by clicking on 'Saftely Remove Hardware icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly. Choice 2 if you dont’t have Windows then you can use the 'force option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line : mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /media/haf_t_-o force Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sdc1/media/half_t_ntfs-3g force 0 0

I then switched to kde 3.5 and needed to get something from the drive and tried to use ntfs config but it gave the same error. However I used the force option which let me get what I needed.

I suppose this takes me back to square one as far as the NTFS automount. However at least the phone and flash cards work.

Thank you very much for all your efforts and time. I learned a little bit about fstab and I look forward to suse 11.1 which when I install over will hopefully correct all this.

If you could get the $LogFile to mark the filesystem ‘clean’ it should then automount as planned. It’s perhaps worth a reboot to windows. On the ntfs-3g site or the ntfsprogs site they say to run the chkdsk thing twice and/or to reboot twice (can’t quite remember which or both) to get the filesystem ‘clean’. But maybe you are exhausted by now?

Thank you very much for all your efforts and time. I learned a little bit about fstab and I look forward to suse 11.1 which when I install over will hopefully correct all this.
It was a pleasure to (try to) help. Good luck w 11.1.

Well I finally had a chance to test out your idea… And it worked!

In windows did a full on scan of the drive rebooted to windows again, and scanned rebooted to windows, then tried to saftely remove the drive but it say try later cant do it now. I gave up and rebooted to suse but used gnome this time and it worked! Switched to KDE gave that error as before.

TODO: have to rethink extra options

Switched to gnome and worked fine. rotfl!

You are truly awesome Swerdna! I feel like i got professional tech support in a forum. Many thanks again! Hopefully suse 11.1 will fix this.

I’m very pleased there was a positive result. For a while I thought it wasn’t going to work because KDE4 had maybe cross contaminated the operating system in a fundamental way.