mirror OpenSuSE 12.3 repos to local SuSE SMT server

Hello,
I can successfully mirror OpenSuSE 12.3 repos to local SuSE SMT server, but our local OpenSuSE 12.3 server just can’t recognize the repos pool registered in SMT. Any detail step-by-step guideline about how to configured SMT’s software repositories?

On 05/16/2013 09:36 AM, huanghaiqing wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I can successfully mirror OpenSuSE 12.3 repos to local SuSE SMT
> server, but our local OpenSuSE 12.3 server just can’t recognize the
> repos pool registered in SMT. Any detail step-by-step guideline about
> how to configured SMT’s software repositories?

hmmmm…would this be helpful:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mirrors#Set_up_a_mirror

as far as mixing Subscription Management Tool (which is useful only
with software with a subscription (like SUSE Linux Enterprise
Server/Desktop, but not openSUSE) and an open repo i don’t know…

for sure i can’t imagine how it would be possible to “subscription
manage” the FREE and OPEN openSUSE repos!!

these are the openSUSE forums and you may need to ask the SLES/D
experts over in their forum <http://forums.suse.com/> if it is even
possible to set up a SMT on an open system…it may not be…your
ID/Pass here works there also…


dd
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

On 2013-05-16 11:13, dd wrote:
> On 05/16/2013 09:36 AM, huanghaiqing wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I can successfully mirror OpenSuSE 12.3 repos to local SuSE SMT
>> server, but our local OpenSuSE 12.3 server just can’t recognize the
>> repos pool registered in SMT. Any detail step-by-step guideline about
>> how to configured SMT’s software repositories?
>
> hmmmm…would this be helpful:
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mirrors#Set_up_a_mirror
>
> as far as mixing Subscription Management Tool (which is useful only with
> software with a subscription (like SUSE Linux Enterprise
> Server/Desktop, but not openSUSE) and an open repo i don’t know…

It is an interesting question.

Please, MODS, do not close this thread, it can be interesting to know
the answer to this for mixed environments. Labs can use SLED servers and
openSUSE desktops, for instance.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 2013-05-16 11:13, dd wrote:
> for sure i can’t imagine how it would be possible to “subscription
> manage” the FREE and OPEN openSUSE repos!!

The wikipedia article on “Subscription Management Tool” says:

+++··········
Subscription Management Tool (SMT) is a software package produced by
Novell, providing a subscription management proxy service, and a local
software update mirror for Novell Open Enterprise Server, SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, and OpenSUSE systems.
··········+±

They do put openSUSE in the list of supported systems. I looked at the
FAQ of the product at Novell, but the word “openSUSE” does not appear.

There is a form to submit a request for support, but I not been a client
I can’t ask.

I’m curious to know the answer, if oS is supported or not (as client
system, not host).


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)