Minor problem - Shutdown

I know this is a very minor issue, but its getting very frustrating.

11.3 - LXDE

When I go to shutdown, the screen appears to enter your password. If I don’t brace myself and type it in as fast as humanly possible, the screen disappears, and I have to make the attempt again. I have a four character password, and really have to race to enter it and hit “enter”. This has been happening since the clean install, and after updating, every time.

Thanks in advance.

-Cheers

The problem has gotten worse. I could not adjust my panel settings at all, items in the panel and the desktop were sticking onto eachother and not disapearing. The best way I can describe it icons, / items lock up and crash, leaving the desktop functional, but slowing it down very much in the process.

I went into root, deleted that user, and fired up a new user. set everything up (almost) and it seemed to work fine…until i started to mess w/ the panel settings. the same thing is starting to happen again (i.e, locked up icons, when I try to move the panel from top to bottom of screen(or vice versa) it freezes slightly, than all menu close, trying to logout of user or shutdown and I have to type my passwd extremely fast or menues close out completely and instantly, etc.)

It just seems that the more I mes with my GUI’s settings, the more problems start happening, and the increase of which they happen.

clean install 11.3 - LXDE
Toshiba satellite m45-s265 (laptop)
System is fully up to date

Thank you for help in advance

-cheers

This reads to me that this could be either (1) a problem installing xorg applications that should not have been installed (by having inappropriate repositories) or
(2) a graphic driver problem, and in both cases not an LXDE desktop problem.

To assess the chance this is possibility (1), please post here the output of:

zypper lr -d

If it is possibility (2) then it is more difficult to assess. Can you confirm your Toshiba satellite m45-s265 laptop has Intel GMA900 graphics ? If so, what graphic driver are you using?

The thinkwiki for the GMA900 (and I am going out on a limb guessing this is the graphics your laptop has) has this page for guidance: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - ThinkWiki where it notes “this chip is supported by the ‘i810’ driver as part of the X.Org distribution”.

I believe the i810 is supported by the nominal intel driver Intel Linux Graphics which should be in the xorg-x11-driver-video rpm, although you could try installing the xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy rpm (which contains the legacy version of the Intel X.Org driver which does not require KMS) to see if that gives superior i810 performance.

Reference the shutdown problem, until it is sorted you could try shutting down from lxterminal by typing:

su -c 'shutdown -h now'

and enter root password when prompted for a password.

Old CPU,

As always thank you friend. I will post this info as soon as possible. I don’t think its a repo problem, becasue I go by what you always say, (oss, Non-oss, updata, and packman). I have tried to tackle the sound issue again (not done yet) but whenever a new repo is enable, I get rid of it immediatly.

The weird thing is 11.2 was on the same laptop, with gnome, and some issues were there that are similar, but they were so minor I didn’t bother and dealt with it, and they never got worse. I have since userdel that user and fired up another one, and it seems to have helped, but already starting to notice “small glitches” if you will.

I’ll get this info to you,

Thanks again!!

-cheers

Oldcpu,

zypper lr -d gives me this :

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±------------------------------------±------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3/ |
2 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
4 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/distribu

MY display controller is, " Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Expres graphics controller 0 intel"

I have some work to do but will check that link out in the meantime…

thanks,

-cheers

Also,

I have the I915 driver, so I’ll give that a shot…

thanks…

-cheers

would you recommend the legacy one, or stick with the video one first??

-cheers

Try the legacy. If it does not work out, then roll back to the regular.