Microsoft acknowledges Linux threat to Windows client

> Psst! You forgot XP. Number 5.5.

i do not know much about Windows, but i thought XP was just a version
in the Win95 line (in that “etc”…)

goldie

Ah, OK. I always thought it was architecturally different; there was much talk of the merger between the 9x structure and NT, and I thought XP was the first attempt at that, leading on to Vista and 7.

If you are right (and you probably are), it’s still the most popular operating system in the world, so perhaps deserves slightly more mention than an etc.!

:wink:

Win XP was not “just a version” in the Win95 line. XP is based on NT while Win95-98/ME are not

ok…see, i know VERY little about Bill’s stuff, except i can live
without it (since 1995).

so, i make it:

Win0 > the work Xerox, Apple, IBM, Amiga and others did
Win1 > basic DOS (no gui)
Win2 > Windows 2.0
Win3 > Windows 3.0 - 3.11
Win4 > NT (aka: Nice Try), XP etc
Win5 > Windows 95, 98, ME etc
Win6 > VistaPig
Win7 > TryAgain

better?

goldie

Not quite. Win 95-98/ME “belong” to the 3.x family as they are improved versions of it all based on MS DOS underneath them so they are from the same family. NT is a separate line of Windows started in 1993 (NT3.1) and includes besides NT3.1 also NT3.5, NT4, Win 2000, XP, Vista and 7. NT was targeted at business environments, while Win 95-98/ME at the general consumer public. Only beginning from XP did MS made it target the broader consumer public and ditched the MS DOS ones like 95/98/ME

This thread is starting to read like a Windows support group. Not a technical support group. One of those support groups where they let you smoke.

Where is security? Those in denial can go hang out at the Apple store or Walmart. If you go to the Apple store make sure you bring your prescription list.

:slight_smile:

yikes! like everything else about Redmond, its just TOO HARD!!

goldie

Hehehe.

Hi! I’m confuseling.

[Chorus:] Hi confuseling!

…And I’ve been using Windows since around 3.1. At first it was just for fun - all my friends were doing it, and I thought I could control it. But soon, it got a hold of me. Service packs; sometimes two or three in a day. Waking up alone with cold restarts in the middle of the night - just needed to “update my security” one more time, or so I’d tell myself. But I was in denial. My filesystem was a mess.

If this was a Windows support group you would here things like…

“It says to hit any key to continue, where’s the any key?” -A big Thanks goes to Homer Simpson for that one.

Tech Support: “May I ask what operating system you are running today?”
Customer: “A computer.”

“How much do Windows cost, and do you have to buy each one separately?”

“What version of DOS does UNIX run?”

Tech Support: “Ok, why don’t you turn off error control and see if that clears the problem up.”
Customer: “Turn off AIR control? What the heck is AIR control??”

>:)

I’ve been fairly impressed with what I’ve seen with Win7. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s definitely a substantial improvement.

> I’ve been fairly impressed with what I’ve seen with Win7. It’s not
> perfect by any means, but it’s definitely a substantial improvement.

do you expect it to be as stable, reliable, fast, compact, resource
sipping, virus/malware/etc-safe, customizable and inexpensive as (say)
any openSUSE 1x.x?

or, for that matter any other modern Linux distro…

and, i wonder if the difference justifies the cost delta…

goldie