Megaglest and OpenAL library error

Does someone play Megaglest 3.4 on openSUSE 11.4? I have been playing it since openSUSE 11.2 and this is the first time I can’t. Megaglest crash when I try to start a new game. It do works if I disable it!

Sound related errors tell me that this has something to do with OpenAL libs as you may know that game uses them:

[2011-03-12 19:24:37] *ERROR* Font not found -*-helvetica-*-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-*] trying to fallback to [fixed]
[2011-03-12 19:24:37] *ERROR* Font not found -*-helvetica-*-r-*-*-19-*-*-*-*-*-*-*] trying to fallback to [fixed]
Couldn't play static sound: [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/shared_lib/sources/sound/openal/sound_player_openal.cpp::play Line: 437] Error [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: MapFilter, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: Enabled, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: Explored, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: AllowObservers, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: AdvancedGameOptions, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
[2011-03-12 19:24:42] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/global/lang.cpp::get Line: 98] Error [Value not found in propertyMap: To switch off music press, loaded from: data/lang/espanol.lng]
Couldn't play static sound: [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
[2011-03-12 19:24:55] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/shared_lib/sources/sound/openal/sound_player_openal.cpp::play Line: 437] Error [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
[2011-03-12 19:24:55] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/main/program.cpp::setState Line: 439] Error [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
[2011-03-12 19:24:55] *ERROR* In [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/megaglest-source-3.4.0/source/glest_game/main/program.cpp::setState Line: 439] Error [Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value]
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Problem unqueuing buffers in audio source: Invalid Value

Packages are from game repo.
Game’s forums people suggest me to try svn head openal libraries but not sure if it’s possible to get and if so don’t know how.

(openSUSE 11.4 32bits)

Hello faco84,

I don’t play Megaglest.

Could you tell us what you are disabling?

I’m not so sure that it’s an openAL problem.
Seeing those errors there are errors related to fonts, language and sound.
Maybe it’s a side effect of some bigger problem?

Is this all the output you get from Megaglest?

Best of luck!:wink:

If I disable game’s sound it works. Those two first errors also appear when I disable sound and play the game correctly so fonts aren’t really a problem to play. I mean I just changed to English game language and those errors are gone. Now there’s just a sound issue I need to fix up.

Hello faco84,

Ok, so it must be an openAL problem.
I assume the package is build against the openAL package from the Games repository.
Make sure you’ve installed openAL from there.

Start YaST->Software->Software Management, search for openAL.
Select the installed packages and check the tab Versions.
Make sure they’re from the Games repository.

Best of luck!:wink:

Thanks Edward but they already are from the games repository :confused:

The 64bit package does seem to work ok with me…

What openal package version do you have and from what repository?

Hi all!

Just found out that if you switch back to the openAL package from the OpenSuse Repo, everything works just fine!

Greetings

rehcla

So it means that the newer version doesn’t work in specific cases?
openSUSE repo: 1.12.854-4.1
Games repo: 1.13-6.1 (The weird thing is that this one works for others).

I’ll try it. Thanks!

nmarques@magtheridon:~> rpm -qi megaglest
Name        : megaglest                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.4.0                             Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/games
Release     : 6.1                           Build Date: Thu 03 Mar 2011 12:09:28 PM WET
Install Date: Fri 18 Mar 2011 03:12:24 AM WET      Build Host: build25
Group       : Amusements/Games/Strategy/Real Time   Source RPM: megaglest-3.4.0-6.1.src.rpm
Size        : 6617185                          License: GPLv2+
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 03 Mar 2011 12:11:06 PM WET, Key ID 8f91b0e6c862b42c
URL         : http://www.glest.org/
Summary     : Free 3D Real-Time Customizable Strategy Game
Description :
MegaGlest takes place in a context that could be compared to that of
pre-Renaissance Europe with the license that magic forces exist in the
environment and can be controlled.
Distribution: games / openSUSE_11.4

Worked out of the box!

As rehcla posted, this error can be solved by changing openal version to 1.12 through openSUSE Build repo instead of the Games repo (openal 1.13).
Don’t know yet why it works only for some and not for others.

I believe the new version of MG (3.5.0) is “compatible” with newer version of openAL. Version 3.5.1 may be released very soon (although 3.5.1 doesn’t have any changes in regards to openAL).