Mate in suse 42.1

I installed 42.1 and in yast checked all the Mate settings. I have not been able to get the login symbol to appear at log in options. It just shows leap. Question can you

use Suse 42.1 with other desktops such as mate or kde. If so how do you get the login symbol to appear. New withe suse.

First, you have to disable auto-login if it’s now enabled.

Easiest way is to
Open YAST > /etc/sysconfig editor.
Search for “login”
Select the autologin entry
Edit the entry removing any name
Save.

Now, reboot.
Your boot should now proceed until the Desktop loads, depending on the Display Manager (likely set by the first Desktop you installed) you should see some combination of username and password. You’ll also see dropdowns for various other options including selecting any installed Desktops.

HTH,
TSU

did you try logging out, by default leap will auto login to the last used desktop, just select logout at the power menu.
abut mate I did use it in 13.2 I haven’t tried it in LEAP

Yes tried the log out, but no symbol to log in.

[QUOTE=tsu2;2775820]First, you have to disable auto-login if it’s now enabled.

Easiest way is to
Open YAST > /etc/sysconfig editor.
Search for “login”
Select the autologin entry
Edit the entry removing any name
Save.

Now, reboot.
Your boot should now proceed until the Desktop loads, depending on the Display Manager (likely set by the first Desktop you installed) you should see some combination of username and password. You’ll also see dropdowns for various other options including selecting any installed Desktops
HTH,
At least I know now that more than one desktop can be used.
Thank you I will try that. It may be awhile,

whar display manager are you using?
sddm has no logos or symbols but a drop down menu with text from where you cam=n select the desktop, I haven’t used gdm in a long time

I am going to do anew clean install of 42.1 and begin again, so it may be awhile before I can get to it.

no man don’t do that, if you can login to a desktop most issues can be solved, just be more precise with your issues,
I haven’t used mate in leap but it did work on 13.2, you can start yast and search for mate packages install them logout, select the desktop you want then login, there is no need to tweak /etc/sysconfigeditor

Thanks, I know, I had already moved on but the question bothered me. I will do a clean install on my spare computer. I keep my data on two computers so If anything

should go wrong when I do a new install I still have my data. Suse impressed me with the sharp, clean look, and security. Thanks again.

Does this apply to tumbleweed?

what’s this?
just start yast go to patterns and install the mate patterns, then logout select mate and login.

So I did a clean install, added Mate in Yast and for some reason it worked. Thanks everyone…

A full tutorial is here
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3313