So, I upgraded my hardware today. basically going from an i3 processor with 4 Gb ram to an i7 with 8Gb, so a change of motherboard.
Thought the quickest and simplest way, this being Linux after all, was just to take hard drive from the old PC and put in the new one.
Fantastic. That worked. The only thing I had to do, or so I thought was to reconfigure networking, which I did using Yast.
Anyhow, I then discovered that if I launch Firefox, Thunderbird or Libreoffice, I get no visible signs that they are working. Event viewer shows them running. They get PIDS assigned and use the memory I would expect, they just don’t display.
Trying them from the CLI, just gets a prompt sitting, with no indication what’s going on in the background and trying to run them twice gets the system message that they are running but not responding.
Thought, hey, no problem. Put the HD back in the original PC. Exactly the same.
Safe mode is the same.
Created new user just in case my KDE configs were borked but just the same with a new user too.
Try de-install and re-install. No help there
Wont even run as root.
Now at a loss and looking for assistance, so keeping fingers crossed.