Login screen resolution

Hello and a happy new year to all!

I’ve a fresh installation of Tumbleweed on a Dell XPS 13". The laptop has a wonderful high resolution monitor of 3200 x 1800. As everything was initially appearing tiny at the beginning, I scaled the desktop with a factor of x2 and now everything looks great. However, my login screen remains tiny. I changed the options in the bootloader with Yast and I scaled my splash screen for grub2 to 1600x1200 but still I haven’t found an option to scale just the login screen. Any ideas?

Info

KDE Plasma: 5.8.4
KDE Framework: 5.29.0
Qt: 5.7.1
Kernel: 4.9.0-2-default

You don’t mention the Display Manager your using, but assuming its the default sddm, then within /etc/sddm.conf file:

• you could set a script (containing an xrandr command for the settings you want) to be run or
  • you could set the DPI in the server arguments to whatever you want

see man sddm.conf for more info

i have same screen:
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep in grub (cant remember what this does now!)
ServerArguments=-dpi 180 in sddm
tip: check your tty fonts <ctrl-alt> F1 etc - if they are readable

This is a setting for the video mode used for the console framebuffer (maybe only applicable to the kernel vesafb driver??) … its supposed to replace the vga= boot option.

That won’t carry over to the DM greeter screen though –> the greeter runs atop a display server (i.e. X is this case), so you need to config the display server’s res.

Apologies, yes it’s sddm. I had tried to set some dpi settings in the past but I messed my fonts globally. I’m a newbie and I had to reinstall everything since I couldn’t get back to the resolution I had. Could you help me out with the exact setting? My current sddm.conf contains:

[Theme]
Current=breeze-openSUSE
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors

[XDisplay]
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup
MinimumVT=7

[Theme]
Current=breeze-openSUSE
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors

[XDisplay]
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup
ServerArguments=-dpi 180
MinimumVT=7

[as stated earlier]

If I go to Yast Settings -> Fonts the value for Force fonts DPI is set to 192. Does your setting change the value globally or just the login screen?And if something is messed up how do I revert to previous settings?

Its global – your passing an argument to the display server.

However, when you log into a user session, your desktop (via the settings YOU select) may introduce its own configuration.

And if something is messed up how do I revert to previous settings?
umm, revert the same change you just made ??? (i.e. delete it or comment it out) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d imagine that’s the global setting for FONTS on the display server … but these aren’t the droids your looking for

That did the trick, thanks!

Tried, but DPI scaling doesn’t do the magic.

Problem is that SDDM insists using 3840x2160 screen size with very poor pictures.

Log file: https://pastebin.com/6bw67EQV Monitor data: https://pastebin.com/b9U51WET

How can I configure SDDM to start in 1920x1080? I tried to set GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub with no result and now I need some help in changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf which contain the #Section “Monitor” of X11 configuration.

Someone can send me a working example of X11 configuration with more than 1 mode listed? The example found so far contains only one resolution.

openSUSE 42.3 (x86_64)
VERSION = 42.3
CODENAME = Malachite

Try to enable High DPI scaling in /etc/sddm.conf.

From “man sddm.conf”:

[X11] section:
       EnableHiDPI=
              Enables Qt's automatic HiDPI scaling.  Can be either "true" or
              "false".  Default value is "false".

I.e. try to put this into /etc/sddm.conf:

[X11]
EnableHiDPI=true