Lirc_serial not working in 12.1?

Hey, so I upgraded my HTPC from 11.3->11.3->12.1.
I´ve been using Lirc with lirc_serial module and it seems to have gotten broken during the upgrades.
I´ve googled a lot to find a solution, but it seems Lirc and Kernel have been going through lots of changes since and I am not sure if the lirc_serial is support anymore.

So the symptom is that lirc_serial module does not load, it complains about the IRQ being busy and the normal setserial trick is not working anymore. But I´ve been trying to read up on this, and it seems these drivers might already be built into the kernel.

# less /etc/sysconfig/lirc
## Description:    lirc (infrared remote control) configuration
## Type:           string
## Default:        "660"
## ServiceRestart: lirc
#
# permissions for /dev/lircd
#
LIRCD_DEV_PERMISSIONS="666"

## Type:        string
## Default:     "root:video"
#
# owner and group for /dev/lircd
#
LIRCD_DEV_OWNER="root:video"

## Default:     ""
#
# use given driver
#
LIRCD_DRIVER=""

#
# read from given device
#
LIRCD_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"

## Type:        string(lirc_bt829,lirc_gpio,lirc_i2c,lirc_it87,lirc_parallel,lirc_sir,ir-kbd-i2c,ir-kbd-gpio)
#
# load given lirc driver module
#
LIRC_MODULE=""

#
# listen for network connections on specified port.
# WARNING: don't use this on a machine with an internet
# connection as lircd is running as root!
#
LIRCD_LISTENPORT=

#
# connect lircd to specified host
#
LIRCD_CONNECT=

When I run “/etc/init.d/lirc restart” I dont see any obvious errors in dmesg or messages-log. But when I try to start “irw” no button presses register from the remote.

So is someone using serial receiver with Opensuse 12.1? Could you please share how you got working, did you compile it yourself?

Halp!

I don’t know for sure, but why not switch to System V at startup to see if that helps. Basically, in the Grub OS selection menu, before you start openSUSE, press F5 and pick System V. Let me know if that works for lirc. We might have to do something like my fix here: systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums, to get the /usr/sbin/lircd file running or to get the lirc script file running perhaps, but I am not for sure. If it does work under System V, you can bet we need to create a service file for it then.

Thank You,