Linux drivers for Intel UHD Graphics 620

I am looking for a replacement for my more than 12 year old laptop running Tumbleweed. I would like to avoid Nvidia graphicas since I have seen many contributions here where people have problems. I now saw a laptop with the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 card and I wondered if anyone of you is using this with Tumbleweed and if there are driver problems? Any contribution appreciated. Cheers Uli

Should be no issue at all. Tw comes with very recent kernel builds which handle the latest Intel GPU’s nicely. A thing you can do if we’re talking about a local shop, is to take a live USB key with you and ask if you can try to boot from the USB key. Done that a couple of times, and much to my surprise the sales persons let me do that, on some occasions were even interested.

Thanks Knurpht, I have done this live version option before as well. But where I live there is no good selection of laptops so I have to get the laptop send to me. Hence this question.

So, buying online. I looked for good return options, bought one, and it worked, but knowing I had 30 days to return it was quite comforting. A friend returned one, admitting he’d put Mint on it and wiped Windows, they didn’t care about that. Once you’ve activated Windows they have to put a new one on it anyway.

I’m writing this from a shiny new Acer Aspire A517 laptop with an Intel i5-8250U CPU with integrated UHD Graphics 620 and openSUSE Tumbleweed installed.
Works without problems.

Hendrik

Thank you, Hendrik, that’s what I like to hear!:wink:

lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 [8086:5912] (rev 04)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:d000]
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

inxi -G -c0

Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 630
Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 175x56 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X

This worked fine for me with 42.3, 15.0B and TW, until the GEIL RAM on the Kaby Lake motherboard went bad over three weeks ago. I’m frustrated waiting on GEIL to ship replacement RAM after having been made to wait nearly a week for RMA authorization. I certainly wouldn’t expect UHD 620 to work any less well. For me, Intel graphics have been working well for over a decade, without the fuss so many with NVidia gfx apparently go through.