Linux Dev on openSUSE 12.2 ?

I’m having problems on 12.2 that I wasn’t having on openSUSE 12.1 and can’t seem to find the reason for my problem. It seems like I’m missing a step.

Basically I’m trying to do some development on the latest linux kernel so pull that in from git repo. Then pull in the “.config” file from my running kernel “3.4.28-2.20-default” and “make oldconfig”. Make the kernel and then “make modules_install”.

On 12.1 I used to simply execute the command “sudo make install” and the kernel makefile would do the necessary installing the kernel image to the correct location and updating grub accordingly. Now on 12.2 it appears to do the same thing it installs the kernel image and updates grub2 but the kernel won’t boot at all. It’s complaining about my hard drives no being readable but I’ve included the ext4 drivers into the kernel, as does the current kernel.

Like i say it seems like the kernel install is missing some step but I can’t workout what. Has anybody encountered this issue and got around it?

On 2013-02-18 21:36, johnwhitmore wrote:

> Like i say it seems like the kernel install is missing some step but I
> can’t workout what. Has anybody encountered this issue and got around
> it?

Are you sure this is a programming-scripting issue? I don’t see your
software here, else please ask a moderator to move the post to the
appropriate forum.

:-?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I’m trying to compile a kernel so that I can do kernel development, which is programming. OK this might not be the correct forum but it’s the best I could do on short notice. There’s no other reason for installing your own rolled kernel apart from programming. Well maybe that’s a bit of a generalisation :wink:

I’ll have another look at the titles but if I was running my own kernel I’d get very little support from anywhere official. As it is I can’t run my own kernel. Normally I run my own for programming work and testing and when finished reboot into the official openSUSE kernel.

On 02/18/2013 09:36 PM, johnwhitmore wrote:
> “sudo make install”

it may not make a difference [depending on what you have done with
sudoers], but you might try instead of sudo

su
make install

thoretically, su and sudo should give you the same environment, and
therefore the same results…but, maybe not in 12.2, i do not know…

generally in openSUSE we use “su -” to become root, but that is
usually not required for “make install”, but maybe now it is, so try
(instead of sudo or su):

su -
make install

if “su” or “su -” works ok please let us know!! [this will come up again]

by the way, did ‘sudo’ become your habit in another distro? if yes,
these might be helpful:
http://tinyurl.com/ubuntu-to-openSUSE
http://tinyurl.com/Ubuntu-Differences

dd
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

Did you also install kernel modules before? “make modules_install”.

Sorry my bad,
when the kernel build didn’t install correctly I just moved to another platform for dev work. it was no a “sudo” issue but for some reason my “sudo make modules_install” didn’t install all the modules for some reason. I’ve not idea why that was the case at all. Anyhow got back to OpenSUSE and went through it all again and hey presto. Yes it works fine now with either sudo or su.

Not sure why there was an issue the first time around.

On the sudo or su reasoning if there are two ways of doing things it’s fertile ground for a religious war a la emacs v vi. Just one of those things I’ve generally got terminals open to a number of different devices so I prefer sudo. It works for me, but which ever. That web page on differences between Ubuntu and openSUSE is a bit misleading with the comment:

“In Ubuntu, the terminal will run with root privileges for approximatly 15 minutes after the last command has been processed. After this time, the terminal will switch back to normal permissions.”

The terminal will only run something with root privilege if it’s prefixed with “sudo” if I enter a sudo request I’ll be prompted for my password, for 15 minutes any subsequent sudo requests don’t require a password but I still need “suso”.

Anyhow problem is sorted and there is not an issue Kernel builds and installs just fine. Thanks for your help and the nudge to check this out