linksys WUSB54G

hello,

i have a linksys WUSB54G and running opensuse11.0 x64 w/ kde 4.0 and i couldn’t connect to the wireless network at home. i’ve tried to configure the adapter and had no luck.

thanks for the help

bump

please help

you most likely need to use Ndiswrapper, instructions here:

Ndiswrapper - openSUSE

Unfortunately, the instructions weren’t accurate when it came to configuring through YAST, so I am not yet able to get my wireless card up. I’ve asked for help here:

Wireless Setup issues with Ndiswrapper - openSUSE Forums

On the other hand, I’ve easily gotten my WUSB54G up and running using Mandriva, it comes with ndiswrapper preinstalled, and invokes it seamlessly through its built in network manager when configuring connections.
Why OpenSUSE can’t be that easy, I don’t know.

RandomOSUser wrote:
>
> On the other hand, I’ve easily gotten my WUSB54G up and running using
> Mandriva, it comes with ndiswrapper preinstalled, and invokes it
> seamlessly through its built in network manager when configuring
> connections.
> Why OpenSUSE can’t be that easy, I don’t know.

The reason is that openSUSE does not deal with closed-source software unless you
specifically ask for it, particularly software that taints the kernel.

Larry

Understood, any suggestions for my problem?

Wireless Setup issues with Ndiswrapper - openSUSE Forums

RandomOSUser wrote:
>
> Understood, any suggestions for my problem?
>
> ‘Wireless Setup issues with Ndiswrapper - openSUSE Forums’
> (http://tinyurl.com/5cwnq4)

You need to enter your driver into ndiswrapper (the command-line tool) and
modprobe ndiswrapper (the kernel module) before the wireless device will show up
for YaST.

Larry

I’ve done all of that, it detects and ndiswrapper shows all is well with the inf driver, Yast doesn’t seem to be working right, or I’ve done something wrong with ndiswrapper. I’ll give some more details when I’m at the computer.

I got mine working, here’s a quick guide I wrote:

Simple setup of the WUSB54G in Opensuse 11:

For these instructions, be sure to log into your system as root. I am using the x64 OS with the GNOME desktop. My WUSB54G is version 4.

STEP 1: Get the Windows Drivers

If you are using the 32-bit OS, get the Windows XP driver package from Linksys:
Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/Choose a Product/Network Adapters/Wireless Adapters/WUSB54G/Downloads

If you are using the 64-bit OS, you need the 64-bit driver available here: http://home.no.net/jarlechi/WUSB54GPx64.zip

STEP 2 (Optional/Unnecessary?) - Blacklist the usb device

Navigate to \etc\modprobe.d and open blacklist
add the line:

blacklist rt2500usb

STEP 3: Install NDISWrapper

Computer > YaST > Software Management > type “ndiswrapper” into the filter, select ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-kmp-default and install the packages from your Opensuse DVD.

STEP 4: Use Windows Drivers via ndiswrapper

Extract the windows drivers, open the terminal (Computer > More Applications > Terminal)

Change directory to where you extracted the windows drivers.

Type in the console:
ndiswrapper -i rt2500usb.inf
modprobe ndiswrapper
rcnetwork restart

STEP 5: Configure Network Settings

Computer > YaST > Network Settings

Select “Wireless-G USB Network Adapter” and click Edit.
Under the hardware tab, type “ndiswrapper” in the Module Name box. Hit Next.
Wireless Network Card Configuration pops up, type in the network name and the corresponding network settings. Click Next, then click Finish.

Reboot the computer. Your wireless connection should work now.

Notes: Supposedly the 64 bit driver only works with a WUSB54G version 4.0 network device. I am a complete newbie to Linux and the ndiswrapper and wireless guides and how-tos were confusing and incorrect for me. Hopefully this helps someone out.

thanks for the help randomuser, where can i get the ndiswrapper from?

thanks

ndiswrapper is on the install dvd or in the repo’s

Andy

Step 2 is not necessary - it doesn’t really do anything.

rcnetwork restart is unnecessary in step 4.

ok, thanks again for the tips randomuser

emm, what do you mean by repo? i’m a complete noob to linux

thanks

and also i’ll try to search for ndiswrapper on the install dvd.

repo = repository, a place for lots of apps,etc to be found, see here Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE you don’t need them all BTW

Andy

ok i found ndiswrapper guide using the search function

but the guide says i need a 64-bit driver and randomuser has gave the link to the 64-bit driver, but i don’t know if my wusb54g it actually has a ‘c’ after ‘g’, wusb54gc, is compatible with the driver because i don’t know if mine is v4.

note: i bought it 2 months ago.

btw i think i’ll follow randomuser’s guide seems simpler :slight_smile:

still waiting for randomuser’s confirmation if it would be compatible with my wusb54gc, 'cause i don’t know if it’s version 4

My card doesn’t have a C after the G either, but it does say V4 on the device.

If the 64-bit driver doesn’t work, try the standard linksys windows xp driver for your specific model.