libxml2 conflict

Hello,

I have a fresh install of 12.2 and as always, I try to put in the drivers for my Canon Pixma MP210 printer on top. TRhis involves two rpms, one which is common and one specific to this model. Normally this works without a hitch (up to 12.1 inclusive), but this time I had a few failed dependencies.

The dependency failure that I can’t seem to resolve is libxml2. I have libxml2-2 installed and there are hundreds of dependencies hanging on it. When I try to install an rpm for libxml2 I get the message:

file /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8 from install of libxml2-2.7.8+git20110708-3.8.1.i586 conflicts with file from package libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586

How can I resolve this?

Thanks,

Abe

I wouldn’t mess around with libxml2. Doesn’t Canon provide more recent packages?
An option is to extract the rpm package, and copy the driver files for your printer manually

So the package** libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586** is the most recent and it seems that you have installed libxml2-2.7.8+git20110708-3.8.1.i586 and so my guess is you need to do a complete package update before you go any further. So you did not specify your desktop as I can see, so I must assume it is KDE then. To fully upgrade, I would do the following tasks for openSUSE 12.2 using KDE:

1. Go to YaST (Enter Root Password) / Software / Software Repository and specify the URL addition of the Packman Repository “http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.2/” excluding the quotes if not already done.
  2. Go to YaST (Enter Root Password) / Software / Software Management and select Options and check Allow Vendor Change.
  3. Again, still in Software Management select Package / All Packages / **Update if newer version available **and press the Accept button on the bottom right.

Take these steps and then try to see if your dependency problem still exists.

Thank You,

jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> naimab;2497546 Wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a fresh install of 12.2 and as always, I try to put in the
>> drivers for my Canon Pixma MP210 printer on top. TRhis involves two
>> rpms, one which is common and one specific to this model. Normally this
>> works without a hitch (up to 12.1 inclusive), but this time I had a few
>> failed dependencies.
>>
>> The dependency failure that I can’t seem to resolve is libxml2. I have
>> libxml2-2 installed and there are hundreds of dependencies hanging on
>> it. When I try to install an rpm for libxml2 I get the message:
>>
> Code:
> --------------------
> > >
> > file /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8 from install of libxml2-2.7.8+git20110708-3.8.1.i586 conflicts with file from package libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586
> >
> --------------------
>> How can I resolve this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Abe
>
> So the package* libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586* is the most
> recent and it seems that you have installed
> libxml2-2.7.8+git20110708-3.8.1.i586 and so my guess is you need to do
> a complete package update before you go any further. So you did not
> specify your desktop as I can see, so I must assume it is KDE then. To
> fully upgrade, I would do the following tasks for openSUSE 12.2 using
> KDE:
>
> 1. Go to YaST (Enter Root Password) / Software / Software
> Repository
and specify the URL addition of the Packman Repository
> “http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.2/” excluding the quotes if
> not already done.
> 2. Go to YaST (Enter Root Password) / Software / Software
> Management
and select Options and check Allow Vendor Change.
> 3. Again, still in Software Management select Package / All
> Packages
/ *Update if newer version available *and press the Accept
> button on the bottom right.
>
> Take these steps and then try to see if your dependency problem still
> exists.
>
> Thank You,

I don’t understand why you would need/want to add packman to fix a
libxml2 problem. Is there some document/bugzilla/whatever that explains
the reason?

To have a properly operating system, you should always add Packman. For someone that has not updated their system, you should include all of the instructions, not just part of them. If you disagree, then provide your own solution, which we always welcome.

Thank You,

jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> djh-novell;2497800 Wrote:

>> I don’t understand why you would need/want to add packman to fix a
>> libxml2 problem. Is there some document/bugzilla/whatever that explains
>> the reason?
>
> To have a properly operating system, you should always add Packman.

I’m afraid I disagree with that philosophy. openSUSE should operate
properly without additional repositories and any failures should be
logged as bugs, IMHO.

I do agree that if the user wants multimedia to work then Packman is
essential, but that was not part of the OP’s problem description.

> For someone that has not updated their system, you should include all of
> the instructions, not just part of them.

I agree. I suggest that explaining the reasons is also useful where they
are not self-evident, as in this case.

> If you disagree, then provide your own solution, which we always welcome.

I believe the user should be fully informed and make their own choice as
to what repositories to add to the basic system. They are now able to
make that choice.

Thank you, jdmcdaniel3.
The discussion above was not necessary for me (though it is useful for others), because the first thing I do after a fresh install is add community repositories, and top of the list is packman.

However, having updated all my packages as you suggested I still have the same error:

error: Failed dependencies:
        libxml2 is needed by cnijfilter-mp210series-2.80-1.i386

I did look for a newer version of the driver, but the only one available from canon is the one I already have. I tried a fresh download nevertheless, but the result above shows that it is still the same.

What can I do to bypass the problem? I have not dealt with rpms manually in the past.

Thanks,

Abe

So when I go to Canon and look up the printer, the driver they post is from 2008 and very old. It is very likely it will no longer work.

Printer Driver for Linux (rpm)

But more important is I see the very same printer in in our YaST printer database here:

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/59325863

Why would you not just use the built-in driver instead?

Thank You,

I have to admit that I never expected to find a built-in driver - mostly due to past experience.
But I don’t see any of the drivers that appear on your screen shot. When I type “any model” into the search box I get very few drivers, basically two generic drivers, two HP drives and a raw queue.

Excuse the silly question, but where do all the built-in drivers hide?

Thanks,

Abe

So I use KDE and then Try: YaST (Enter Root Password) / Hardware / Printers / Add Button / Find More Button / Enter Canon / Search Button

Thank You,

I have the following installed

# rpm -qa |grep libxml
libxml2-2-32bit-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.x86_64
libxml2-tools-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.x86_64
python-libxml2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.x86_64
libxml++-2_6-2-2.35.2-2.1.2.x86_64
libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.x86_64
libxml2-32bit-2.7.8-34.1.x86_64

I haven’t experienced the dependency issue you encountered. In assisting others with older Canon driver packages, I have several cnijfilter packages installed.

Yes, I did all that you suggest, and got the short list I described in my previous post. There don’t seem to be any Canon specific drivers on my system. Which is why I asked where they were all hiding.

Thanks,

Abe

My system is 32 bit - so perhaps things are a little different for me. When I type:

rpm -qa |grep libxml

I get:

libxml2-2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586
python-libxml2-2.7.8+git20120223-8.5.1.i586

I am trying to install libxml2 and get the incompatibility message - so how do I get around it?

Thanks,

Abe

All right, problem solved.

I used zypper to install libxml2 and this worked fine, so my old driver is now installed and the printer is working fine.

This does leave me with a question: why was I unable to install libxml2 with YaST, but able to do it with zypper? I thought the two were using the same repositories and only differed in the user interface - but I was probably wrong.

Anyway, thanks for all the help,

Abe.