Lenovo T550 keyboard woes

I’ve just been given a new Lenovo T550 laptop for work, and my boss asked me to install openSUSE with KDE, neither of which have I used in quite some time after working in a RHEL shop for a few years.

Generally I am very happy with KDE & openSUSE, but I have had a few issues which I am struggling with and haven’t found solutions for all of them, these are mainly down to the laptop make & model I am pretty sure.

Keyboard:

• The most important first step for me was switching the Fn & Ctrl keys in the BIOS, as it’s so annoying when you press Fn instead of Ctrl every bleedin’ time!
  • The Fn keys on F4 - F12 don’t work when pressed, the F1-3 keys work (volume), so the Fn key is working, but the other 9 don’t do anything - when I try and bind any of these Fn keys in Global shortcuts they appear to come up as “Wake up”
  • There are also 4 keys in the top right of the keyboard, Calculator (working), lock (not working), web (working - takes me to a homepage in FF), folder (not working)
  • I have also been given a logitech wireless k/b which has similar issues with Fn keys and special keys, but I’m hoping if I can figure out how to fix the issues I have described I can also figure out the other issues (I guess I may have to set up 2 k/b profiles and switch between them - although it would be nice if KDE knew which one I was using and used the right mapping for each!)
  • The windows key on the keyboard didn’t bring up the Application launch menu, to fix this I had to install ksuperkey - I’m just leaving this here for any other kde n00b who see’s this post

I tried binding the lock key to “Lock screen” in Global Shortcuts > khotkeys, this key appears to be an alias of Meta + L, now when I press either Meta +L or the lock button, a prompt appears entitled “Input action: Comment KDE Daemon” which states “No service configured”. I would like both of these to work, but I am at a loss as to what to do here. Strangely Ctrl+Alt+L still works (although I forget and have left my screen unlocked before without realising).

I was advised on the other post I saw that I needed to change my keyboard type, I looked in System settings > Input devices, and I tried all of the Lenovo keyboards I saw in there (applying between changes) but the Fn keys still didn’t work correctly. But then I also don’t see “Asus Keyboard” in the list, which that poster states he has to use for his laptop. So I guess I must be missing something… Is there another package I need to install, or am I looking in the wrong area? Or do I need to reboot between changes?

I would recommend using “xmodmap” to find the keycodes assigned to your keyboard. It allows up to 4 keys per modifier to be reassigned.

Use this command to find the keycodes pre-assigned to your keyboard. They will be shown in konsole or xterm:

$ xmodmap -pke

However, I have been using in KDE4 =>Configure Desktop ->Shortcuts and Gestures and exporting the default keycode hotkey scheme for safe-keeping.
This creates a backup file of the keyboard settings in case you make an error and delete your original settings.

Ensure that you place a tick-mark to enable “Allow Merging” when exporting the “hotkey” keyboard scheme.
This will allow your changes to the keyboard shortcuts to be merged into your settings instead of overwriting the original settings.

See: Ref: https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/khotkeys/index.html