LEAP 15.1 and Legacy/UEFI

I downloaded the ISO and put it on a USB stick. I couldn’t see the stick to boot it in bios UEFI mode but did in Legacy. Shortly after the upgrade started (from Leap 42) there was an error relating to UEFI/Legacy which i dismissed and it continued on. Now when I boot i get
Loading 'Linux 5.3.18-40 - Default
Error can’t find command 'Linux
Loading initial ram disk
Error can’t find ‘initrd’

HP Pavillion, initially loaded with Win 8.

What to do now?

Thanks in advance!

It’s hard to guess from that information.

If your 42.3 was using UEFI booting, then your best option would be to find out how to boot the installer in UEFI mode, and then repeat the upgrade. That will likely fix the booting problem.

I created the stick as per the instructions for the install - using Image Writer, and the system was booted UEFI.

What more information can I provide?

This thread is tagged with “LEAP 15.1”. And you also have “LEAP 15.1” as part of the title.

Your opening post says “Loading 'Linux 5.3.18-40 - Default”.

That is not the kernel for Leap 15.1. It might be the kernel for the alpha test release of 15.3. Or perhaps it is a kernel for Leap 15.2 (but not the current kernel).

This suggests you have been testing other versions, and somehow you are trying to boot the wrong version.

I’m mentioning this, because perhaps that will jog your memory and hint at what might be going wrong.

My apologies for the error. The boot screen shows the options:
openSUSE Leap 15.3 Alpha
Advanced options for openSUSE Leap 15.3 Alpha
Start bootloader from a readonly snapshot

When I select the snapshot option, it lists 8 options. The first is 'openSUSE Leap 15.3 Alpha (5.3.18-102.2021-01-16T04.post.afterupdate). The second is ‘openSUSE Leap 42.3(4.4.180-102.2021-01-16T03:52.pre.beforeupdate’ and I am able to boot it. It does provide some capabilities.

Does this help? What more can I provide?

Boot the installed system however you are able to the most recent version you can make boot (via chroot if necessary), then, using code tags around your paste, paste here “somefile.txt” generated thus:

grep RETT /etc/os-release > somefile.txt
sudo rpm -qa | grep kernel >> somefile.txt
sudo parted -l >> somefile.txt
sudo zypper lr -d >> somefile.txt

Upgrade from Leap 42.x to Leap 15.3 is not supported.
Leap 15.3 is in alpha stage, use Leap 15.2 instead.
Perform fresh install.
If you want to keep /home, clean /.cache folder after install.

Hmmm… and I thought I was making progress. After the last post I plugged in a new stick and was able to make a UEFI bootable drive with 15.3 and finished the upgrade. Boots just fine now, but I can’t get the wifi to work. YaST says "Nerwork is currently handled by NetworkManager or is completely disabled. YaST is unable to configure some options ".

I’m doing this via my phone so any output is cumbersome to transcribe.

Thanks for the assistance!

Note that 15.3 is early beta thus thing may be broken. Unless your purpose is to test 15.3 you are best advised to install 15.2 NOT 15.3

Use NetworkManager to set up WiFi, not wicked. Or set wicked as preferred way to set up connections.

Finally got 15.2 installed and all is well now.

Many thanks to all who assisted!