Latest release, no network card control

Giving the latest release a whirl on a desktop and laptop.

The install, the network was assigned dhcp and user control by networkmanager - is there a missing ‘k’ at the front?

Anyway, the cards got their correct mac-assigned addresses. The laptop has wifi built-in, a common but non-firmware type, so unavailable but that’s not important or the point.

After clicking the menu item ‘networkmanager’ I see the icon on the taskbar. On clicking this, the popup dialog has an entry “manage connections”, and because the subsystem found an albeit unavailable wifi, a tickable “enable wireless” and “wireless connection”. These mean I could enable/disable any wireless and decide what to connect to .

However, what is important and the point is:

At the top of this dialog it shows “auto eth0” for the line card. The only thing possible with this is to see and copy the address info, no way to enable/disable it.

With the eth0s working fully, clicking the “manage connections” brings up the dialog with ‘wired, wireless, vpn, dsl’ tabs and ‘add’ and ‘edit’. I expected to see the established eth0 there to allow an edit, but no.

The description for networkmanager indicates it allows user control over the interface(s). Why is this not wholly possible?

I can’t believe this is intended or such a bug would surface at this stage.

Do you refer to openSUSE 11.3 RC 1 (Release Candidate 1)? If so such discussions are normally located at the sub-forum for Beta- and Pre-Releases:
e. g.: 11.3 RC1 Wireless Problem - openSUSE Forums

As I recall from other readings: with RC 1 is a problem with the networkmanager (I have only tested some Milestones until M. 7 not jet the RC 1) - If you really use that test-Software: have you tried an update to factory?

Please post the precise version of software (openSUSE version, GNOME/KDE version) that you are using (and maybe the hardware, too) so that others can try to help you.

Greetings pistazienfresser

ah yes, Is there a way for the moderator to move this to the ‘Pre-release’ forum?

anyway, this is what I used, with its KDE:
linux/suse/opensuse/distribution/11.3-RC1/iso/openSUSE-DVD-Build0675-i586.iso

This thread has been moved to the Pre-release area of our forum. Both NNTP and Web based users are invited to respond as appropriate to help the original poster.

[quote="“pistazienfresser,post:2,topic:50532”]

Do you refer to openSUSE 11.3 RC 1 (Release Candidate 1)? If so such discussions are normally located at the sub-forum for Beta- and Pre-Releases:
e. g.: 11.3 RC1 Wireless Problem - openSUSE Forums

As I recall from other readings: with RC 1 is a problem with the networkmanager (I have only tested some Milestones until M. 7 not jet the RC 1) - If you really use that test-Software: have you tried an update to factory?

Please post the precise version of software (openSUSE version, GNOME/KDE version) that you are using (and maybe the hardware, too) so that others can try to help you.

Greetings pistazienfresser[/QUOTE]I have moved this thread to the Pre-release/Beta area of our forum, and unlocked the thread. All users (both Web based and NNTP) please respond to this thread as appropriate if you believe you can help.