Latest Kernel Update (2.6.27.25-0.1)

I have just applied the latest kernel update.
No issues for me. Just the usual kernel module rebuild for Virtual Box. Intel graphics so nothing to do, it just works.:slight_smile:

+1. I have no exotic hardware too.

Just did the update and all looks well.

A few hundred servers down and up without a hitch.

Show off!lol!
Nice one! two … three… four…

ya’ll slackers. I’m already on 2.6.30.2 :stuck_out_tongue:

There are those that lead and those that follow. You must be a born leader;)

I’ve tried the 2.6.30-?? kernel but can’t find a kernel-source file that will let me compile the NVIDIA drivers.
I’ve tried the noarch source and I’ve tried a rpm rebuild from src.rpm but the NVIDIA file doesn’t recognise a valid source.
Any help there?

I’m not sure if it’s the kernel update or another one, but now I cannot log out, shut down, or restart from KDE 4. All it does is play the sound and then just stays in the session. I have to zap the x-server to get back the the KDM login screen.

Of course, I’m using 4.3.61 from the Unstable repos, so I deserve what I get, I guess!

Hi,can you tell me folks ,i’m gonna have problems with the new kernel update ,i’m running openSUSE 11.1 with CPU 2500+(Sempron),SocketA(462) ,512MB,GeForce FX5500,Western Digital 80GB ,did someone with a system like this(simillar) trying this new kernel

I’m sorry for my weak english.

peteh100 adjusted his/her AFDB on Friday 24 Jul 2009 09:26 to write:

>
> I’ve tried the 2.6.30-?? kernel but can’t find a kernel-source file that
> will let me compile the NVIDIA drivers.
> I’ve tried the noarch source and I’ve tried a rpm rebuild from src.rpm
> but the NVIDIA file doesn’t recognise a valid source.
> Any help there?
>
>

Sorta the same prob with the ATI`s but they need to make theirs work with
the newer kernels first as well, I was hoping that this newer 9.7 would let
me use a newer kernel but no luck so I am having to put off the 11.2 test
till later on my machines as they either have ATI or Nvidia graphics.

Might try on my lappy as that has a cr^ppy sis chipset though so no chance
of 3D on that one which eliminates the eye-candy some you lose and some you
lose, again…

:frowning:

–
Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

I posted my experiences here, on this thread that was started 10 hours earlier :slight_smile:
KERNEL update today so don`t forget… - openSUSE Forums

No worries, but you need to tell us what you mean by “having problems”. It is very very difficult to guess what you mean by that.

Likely the best thing for you to do is start a new thread, and in the new thread specifically describe your problem with as much detail as possible.

Hi,and i thank you for your quick response ,what i mean to say,i want to know if i’m gonna be able to log on/off or my system will freeze /there gonna be no problem with the other box i have installed (Debian Squeeze)hope my grub will not fail/of course i’ll had care to take backup.

Likely the best thing for you to do is start a new thread, and in the new thread specifically describe your problem with as much detail as possible.

Thank you but i think is not necessary need to start a new thread is not a urgently let say problem a question of life and death.

Ah … so then you have not YET installed the new kernel ?

The precautions I always take is make an easy acessable copy of my /boot/grub/menu.lst file BEFORE I install the new kernel.

BEFORE I install the new kerenk, If on my PC I am using any proprietary graphic drivers (such as a proprietary nVidia or a proprietary ATI graphic driver) I will go to their web site and download the latest binary driver. I will also ensure I am familiar with the installation instructions (see the web sites I linked to):

If my PC uses wireless, BEFORE I install the new kernel, I check to see what wireless chipset, and check to see if there might be any problems with a new kernel, as new kernel builds can break wireless drivers that were custom built for a new kernel. If necessary, I download the latest driver (for the new kernel) and/or the source code for the driver, so I can custom build it if necessary. I ensure I have the instructions for the custom build.

Once I have done all of that (and typically I always have that on my PC as a backup so it takes no time) I then, and only then install the new kernel.

Once the new kernel is installed, and BEFORE rebooting, I check the updated /boot/grub/menu.lst against my backup /boot/grub/menu.lst and I very carefully examine the changes (and there MUST be changes) to ensure that the changes make sense.

Once satisfied, I reboot. If I believe the graphics will be broken I will boot to run level 3 and rebuild my graphic driver. If I am using an openGL or vesa graphic driver (which does not get broken by kernel updates) I simply boot normally.

Then I update my wireless driver (if needed) and I update my alsa sound driver if needed (assuming intenet works).

Reference your PC, are you using wireless? (you did not state). What graphic driver are you using with your nvidia card (it will be listed in your /etc/xorg.conf file) ? Are you using “nv” or “nvidia” (the former being an openGL driver and the later being a proprietary driver).

Thanks again, no i’m using the proprietary driver “Nvidia” i had take it from Yast-Nvidia Repository ,reference to my internet driver ,i’m using Lan ,no wireless driver,so i will gonna take backup from my /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Here’s some from my xorg.conf(of course i’ll take backup from this one,too

EndSubSection
Device “Device[0]”
Identifier “Screen[0]”
Monitor “Monitor[0]”
EndSection

Section “Device”
BoardName “GeForce FX 5500”
Driver “nvidia”
Identifier “Device[0]”
Screen 0
VendorName “NVidia”
EndSection

P>S> IF you need more info please tell me i will put here.:slight_smile:

OK, then be prepared that after you update the kernel, your PC will not boot X but rather will end up at an ASCII log in prompt (run level 5 with no GUI).

I’m at the stage now, I no longer even try to boot direct to X after a kernel update (where I have a proprietary graphic driver installed). Instead when the grub menu appears during the reboot after the kernel install, I enter “3” (no quotes) into the options line, and I boot my PC to run level 3. I log in as a regular user, type “su” (no quotes) to obtain root permissions, I then make a backup copy of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if I have not done so already) and then I install the proprietary nvidia (or ati as applicable) driver. I typically rebuild the driver from the nvidia/ati binary [called “the hardway” even though its easy], as opposed to using the repository method, but assuming the built driver (and you need to check this) is on the repository, then that repository method should work.

Once the driver is built/installed, I run sax2 as appropriate (per the URLs I quoted previous), I reboot normally to run level 5 (with “shutdown -r now” to command a reboot) and X works.