Laser Monochrome Printer

Hi SuSers! Fast ‘n’ quick post.
Is anyone so kind to suggest me a good and compatible printer for Linux (openSuSe here!!!) the is around €120?
What I only need is a laser one with only black/white. If it has also eth or Wi-Fi connection would be nice! lol!
Good day to all!

Hi there ! I have been using an hp LaserJet 1102 on openSUSE since a few years. This model is also available with WiFi and installs easily on openSUSE-12.3. Good luck !

Ty for the reply! I found also a Brother Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions
It’s around 100€, seems good!

I’ve found that nearly every model of HP printer installs without any effort. I’m more of an Ink Jet guy myself but the laser printers I have plugged in or network installed have been completely trouble free for me.

Happy Searching!

Thank for your contribute too! :wink:
I always only had ink printers (Lexmark Z24 and Brother MFC-J265W), but after using them I’ll go for laser and only b/w, no colors neither ink anymore for me.
I found Brother to be very good with support in and out warranty (I bad flashed the firmware once and they picked up the printer from my house and fixed with no payment at all for me!).
I know that HP has a very very good support for printers in Linux, but luckily also Brother gives drivers (both *.rpm and *.deb).
@ hws38 The HP you suggested would have been perfect if it had also the copy function!

As soon as I plugged in the 7055w, I will let you know!

On 2013-06-04 16:36, susebh wrote:
> I know that HP has a very very good support for printers in Linux, but
> luckily also Brother gives drivers (both *.rpm and *.deb).

You should look for a printer that has complete Linux support from the
community, never via binary packages provided by the manufacturer. When
ever they choose, they’ll stop updating the rpm and you have to buy a
new printer.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

For now that printer is the best I could find at that price with the features I need and Brother also provides drivers.

OT
In last two years we all see “Linux” coming to the masses thank to Android and Steam (and in the future FirefoxOS, Ubuntu Phone, Tizen…), but - I’m regret - we’re still far from having a Windows-like-wide support.
For example, I’m looking also for a video HD capture PCIe card, and I can’t find one that is supported on Linux by the vendor.
The most of the work is still done thanks to the community, generally speaking… I’m sorry, but nowadays the market is not only smartphones and tablets and… No: Android is not Linux, Android simply uses it.
I see no victory of the open source idea (I’m always speaking about the masses), neither of the the ecosystem of the software (GNU) plus the Linux kernel.
Just like ogg has failed over mp3. Still a lot of things need to be changed, and not from our side, but on the other one.
And it’s so sad because the big companies are responsible for what can work and be used by/for the masses. For example, what now comes into my mind: try to think how nice could be if every portable audio player were sell with native support to ogg instead mp3 :wink:

/OT

On 2013-06-05 00:56, susebh wrote:
> For example, what now comes into my
> mind: try to think how nice could be if every portable audio player were
> sell with native support to ogg instead mp3 :wink:

Why should they? >:-)
For example, ogg requires much more cpu power than mp3.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Exact! “Why should they?”! If something works good and it does better than other, why choose open source alternatives. I think this is the wrong behaviour related to the open so
urce softwares/idea. And mine is - for sure - the wrong behaviour: I found a device that fits all my requests and works on GNU/Linux environments (and I don’t care too much how is provided the compatibility) at the lowest price. Just simple :wink:

Brother is cheaper and the cartridge last longer

On 2013-06-05 13:16, susebh wrote:
> Exact! “Why should they?”! If something works good and it does better
> than other, why choose open source alternatives. I think this is the
> wrong behaviour related to the open source softwares/idea.

But would they want to use open source? Probably they don’t.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 06/05/2013 01:16 PM, susebh wrote:
> at the lowest price

i know the HP works (out of the box, i think), i waiting to hear if
what you bought does!!

dd

On 2013-06-05 16:43, dd wrote:
> On 06/05/2013 01:16 PM, susebh wrote:
>> at the lowest price
>
> i know the HP works (out of the box, i think), i waiting to hear if what
> you bought does!!

I understand it needs a proprietary driver, which means that it probably
will stop being supported some time in the future.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Sorry for the delay, the printer has finally arrived: DCP-7055W.
Using rpm drivers from Brother website, the printer works good (at least for me and for what I need) and also the scanner! rotfl!

Good choice! FWIW, I have a DCP-7055 (non-wireless model) that has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years or so. Very economical too. :slight_smile:

I agree one hundred percent.:wink: