Large file transfer

Hi,

I am trying to copy a 9GB file from my 64bit 42.1 to a Odys Prime tablet via USB link.
The copy starts well, but after an hour or so it stops at exactly 4GB with a message
like “copying failed”. This happened 2 times. I guess there’s a sort of a maximum file size.

Zipping the source file results in a 7GB file. Still too large.

Now I would like to cut the file into 3 portions, copy them, and then slip them back together.
But I don’t know the appropriate commands for it.

Can anybody help?

Or does anybody know about the specifics of file transfers to tablets in general that could help?

Thanks in advance.

Filesystem on the Odys Prime tablet is FAT?

vfat reads the mount output

/dev/sdb on /run/media/*****/2AD2-1B0B type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2) 

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#VFAT:

You may assume that the 4 GiB is the limit.

omg!

thank you.

I think google chose fat so users could mount their internal data (not the OS data as that’s formatted in ext4) on windows in usb node
anyway if you’re familiar enough with android and don’t use your device in usb mode you can always use android to send data to windows or use kdeconnect under Linux you can format the internal storage with ext4 which does not have the 4G limit the max file size depends on the block size
if you have custom recovery (twrp or cwm) you can easily format in ext4 just backup your data first you can find more info at xda or ask google
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-format-ext4-internal-memory-data-t2852815

The simple solution… Assuming you have either console capability or the ability to ssh into your tablet…

Use “split” to split your large file into suitable size pieces (<4GB).
Once every piece has been transferred to your tablet, use “cat” to combine into one file again.

Works for any kind of file I know of, including binaries and video files.

Just because you can’t transfer the original file due to its size, be aware that does not mean that the file can’t be used once on the restrictive file system.

Of course, if this is a video file the likely best solution is to just set up a home server and stream the video from the home server.
A network connection of course is required.

TSU

Formatting to ext4 is an interesting option. I will keep that in mind.

For the moment I was able to decode the file (which indeed was a video file) into a format that fits into the limits.

tsu2:
Thank you. Split and cat were the commands i was looking for. I tried it out, once. But the cat process ended just like the copying: stop at 4GB.
(I did it with “cat xaa xab > file”)