laptop freeze

my laptop Packard bell easynote sb85 with last bios update 4A03 . it works perfectly with opensuse 12.1 but when i install opensuse 12.3 or 13.1 , i have the same issue it freezes

but if i click on mouse it starts working again my guess its power management problem with the new kernel . i didn’t have this problem with other machines only on this laptop .

so please help me …

thanks …

On 2013-12-23 16:36, Batman13 wrote:
>
> my laptop Packard bell easynote sb85 with last bios update 4A03 . it
> works perfectly with opensuse 12.1 but when i install opensuse 12.3 or
> 13.1 , i have the same issue it freezes
>
> but if i click on mouse it starts working again my guess its power
> management problem with the new kernel . i didn’t have this problem with
> other machines only on this laptop .

You mean that the machine “stops”, like the clock gadget not updating every second, till you move
the clock or click on something?

I had a similar issue years ago. It was never solved. I found how to trick the machine to keep
running, though. Please confirm the issue description and I’ll give you ideas.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Elessar))

thank you so much for your answer , yes its exactly as you describe … I am waiting to know how you did to trick the machine …

if you have a script or something just post it … thank you again i didnt expect people to reply so quickly …

On 2013-12-23 22:36, Batman13 wrote:
>
> thank you so much for your answer , yes its exactly as you describe … I
> am waiting to know how you did to trick the machine …
>
> if you have a script or something just post it … thank you again i
> didnt expect people to reply so quickly …

Ok.

Comment: you do not need to send me a PM with the contents of the reply on the thread. If my
computer is working as it should, I notice the posts :wink:

Ok, at least in my case any interrupt signal would keep awake the computer for some seconds, like a
keypress, a mouse movement, a mouse click… but also something on the network (an incoming network
packet generates an interrupt). So what I did was log into my router, which happens to be an
embedded Linux machine, and send a ping every second to my computer, forever. This was enough to
keep it awake. Of course, I had to do it every time I booted it… which was a nuisance. I was able
to automate the procedure a bit, but not much.

On the other hand, I also opened a Bugzilla at Novell, against the kernel. To prove the issue, I did
a script that… let me see if I can remember. It was a one second delay loop, and on every
iteration it checked how much time has passed since the previous iteration. If it was 2 seconds or
more, it wrote the timestamp and time difference to a file.

The result is a log file with entries every time the machine stopped processing, specifying for how
long it stopped. I proved there could be delays of several minutes.

Of course, at least in my case, the clock worked correctly: after every “freeze”, it would still
show the correct time to the second.

I suppose I could dig out those scripts. I also did a pascal program to do it better. I must have it
somewhere.

In my case the issue ended because I bought another computer or with a kernel change, or both
things. Maybe it was never solved, and I was the only one on the entire Earth suffering it, it
seemed. Now there are two people… :-}

But I would need to upgrade that machine again to see if my machine is still affected, which is very
problematic to do.

I’ll try to find out the bug number. If I forget to tell you this data (bug data, scripts for
checking, etc), just write a post here on this thread (ping) to remind me. I can not find out this
data you need just now.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2013-12-24 01:26, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I’ll try to find out the bug number. If I forget to tell you this data (bug data, scripts for
> checking, etc), just write a post here on this thread (ping) to remind me. I can not find out this
> data you need just now.

My Bug number:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=350980

I suggest you create a new one, with a reference to the old one, and an entry on the old to suggest
look at the new one.

The script I used is included on the bug, you could reuse it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

thanks Robin for all your answers , i coudn’t manage to find the right script to avoid this probelm

but i could trick the machine physically … now i have a usb mouse and i put something on my touch pad

everything seems to work fine … i think i just emulate a click event permanently . i know its not elegant but it works

i will not give up to look for others solution and maybe the next kernel version will not have this probelm …

again thanks Robin for all your replies ..

On 2013-12-25 15:06, Batman13 wrote:

> thanks Robin for all your answers , i coudn’t manage to find the right
> script to avoid this probelm

My script does not avoid the problem; it just creates a log that proves there is a problem so that
the developers look into it when you create the bugzilla. The issue is unbelievable, so you have to
demonstrate you tell the truth.

> but i could trick the machine physically … now i have a usb mouse and i
> put something on my touch pad
>
> everything seems to work fine … i think i just emulate a click event
> permanently . i know its not elegant but it works

Well, that is very similar to what I told you I did. I configured my router to ping the machine
every second.

> i will not give up to look for others solution and maybe the next kernel
> version will not have this probelm …

Next kernel WILL have the same problem, unless you start working and report the issue ASAP in bugzilla.

> again thanks Robin for all your replies …

Welcome.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.