Laptop fan runs on sleep and when shut off

Hi,

I have a cheap HP 840 laptop I bought refurbished. Leap 15.4 is installed. It has started turning the fan on whenever it is in sleep or turned off. It does not have a removable battery. The fan isn’t usually noticeable when the computer is on but turned off it runs so hard that you don’t want to be in the same room as the computer. I have not been able to find any information about this on the internet.

It is not just a matter of it doing this for a few minutes to get to resting temperature, it will do it all night. There is not a removable battery [without removing the bottom panel which I haven’t done] and I have let the fan run until the computer died hoping it might reset.

I have no way of knowing if this is a hardware or software problem. I did not see anything noteworthy in the bios. I did not make any change to the computer settings, though I did start using Chromium instead of Firefox. However, Chromium had long been installed, and I have tried shutting it off with Chromium all the way closed.

The computer will not hibernate at all, the screen just blanks for about a second and then goes back to the login screen. The only thing I can think of which could possibly be related to this is that it insists on showing any media associated with the browser under the login even if nothing is running, but I have it set to pause media on any sort of shutdown mode. The best idea I have is to set it so the screen only turns off when the lid is shut, but I don’t like the idea of the computer being running 24/7 with no ability to properly turn it off.

Thank you for any help.

If you search, you will find lots of results with this issue also under MS Windows…
It’s a combination of crappy HP BIOS, hardware and firm-/software…

Thank you, the first one is clearly the same problem, but incredibly it says “to perform on a computer with a sealed or non-removable battery” and then specifically says “remove the battery” in the steps! I assume if I remove the bottom panel I must be able to take out the battery I just haven’t wanted to do so especially with power going to everything

one thing I did run into is when I have seen anything similar the instructions for doing anything about it were always for windows, which is why I had hoped I could get help here.

I will check the bios number right now it was purchased at the end of 2022 so I would have assumed refurbished it had the 2020 bios.