kwin-fx-beclock doesn't works on leap 42.1

my system is running opensuse leap 42.1 with plasma 5.8.3:
Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
upgraded 13.2 to leap 42.1, using wolfi repos. I’m running KDE 4.14.18 and plasma 5.8.3, KDE frameworks 5.27.0, KDE applications 16.08.2, Kernel 4.1.34-33-default, nvidia drivers

I looked for here
https://software.opensuse.org/package/kwin-fx-beclock?search_term=beclock
and result that for openSUSE Leap 42.1 in KDE:Extra is there version 1388262929 the rpm is kwin-fx-beclock-1388262929-3.6.x86_64.rpm
I installed from that repo but I cannot see it in the systemsettings (Version 5.8.3) > desktop behaviour > desktop effects so I cannot enable it.
is there a way to have this superb piece of software I cannot survive without working in leap 42.1,?? and in the next 42.2??
manythanks, ciao, pier :slight_smile:

This is a KDE4 package and hasn’t been ported to Plasma5 AFAIK.
The last change to the package was over 4 years ago…

So, no, it won’t work in Plasma5.

And actually, AFAICS the binary package has been deleted from KDE:Extra completely meanwhile, even for older distributions.
So I wonder how you were even able to install it? :\

PS: Ah ok, it has been disabled and wiped out, but it’s still in the repo.

…it’s a pity, it was very useful and beautyful and unique and nobody has a similar effect:(, I’m surprised that an apparently simple kwin effect cannot works or cannot be easily repaired only after changing kwin version>:(

…yes, not only in the repo, but also as result searching in the search bar in the opensuse search package site, and it is proposed also for 42.2

Well, if nobody does it…

Maybe try to contact the developers:

Although, as the last change has been over 4 years ago, it seems to be abandoned.

…yes, not only in the repo, but also as result searching in the search bar in the opensuse search package site, and it is proposed also for 42.2

Of course, as it is still in the repo, it will show up on the package search site too.
I could remove it completely, but then you wouldn’t be able to use it in KDE4 either… :wink:

OTOH, the package will probably be removed completely anyway after 13.2 (the last openSUSE release that came with KDE4) is out of maintenance.
Maybe I should add it to my repo…

…I’ll try :slight_smile:

manythanks :wink:

maybe with some beer and hope…:slight_smile:

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 02:19:54PM +0100, procustex-gmail wrote: 
hi thomas, is there a way to have the best kwin effect in the world,  beclock, working on plasma5?? 
manythanks for everything you did and you will do. 
ciao  pier 
.I abandoned KDE/plasma but I think Robert (I BCC'd him) has ported 
be::clock (for his own interest) 
I did yes, I however havent ported the config dialog (some kde widgets have 
been removed in kde5) and I'm not sure if the config paths are right. I  suppose 
I could have a quick looksee and see if I could get the config dialog  quickly up 
and running, but not today and ifffffffff Thomas gives me his blessing  

Cheers, 
//Robert