Keyboard Question

Hi,
my keyboard is a little used and some keys don’t respond to well anymore.
So now i am looking for a replacement, a keyboard that responds well. Kinda like a typist keyboard.
There are so many keyboard on the market but its hard to say which one is good or has a good keyfeel.
Currently i have a saitek keyboard, which was cool at the time, but i think i need something more pro.

I think asking about a keyboard recommendation is like asking for your favorite color, which by the way blue is my favorite color, even though you did not ask. And I am getting kind fond of green as well these days.

So, the two top keyboards seem to be Logitech and Microsoft. Your connection options are mostly USB and if you still need PS2, you may need to special order it. Next is Wireless or wired. For most reliable operation, go wired. But, if you want wireless, look at the 2.4 ghz versions that allow operation up to 30 feet away. Always buy an optical mouse, if there is a choice and when buying wireless, go ahead and get a combo mouse and keyboard set. Top of the line wireless keyboard and mouse combos is about $80 US. Econo keyboard costs only around $10 for wired.

For my main system I am using a wired USB Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 and my mouse is a wired USB Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 and both work great. I spent about $50 US for the pair. For Christmas, I got a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and Wireless Mouse 5000, a USB 2.4 ghz 30 feet range Wireless Combo Keyboard and Mouse set. This was a present, but I think it cost $80 and I use it on my Media Center PC and it works very well, but a little more expensive than I normally spend myself.

Thank You,

I tend to favor Logitech whenever possible. Some MS wired usb mouses are good also but tend to relocate the pointer to the bottom left of the screen at random intervals (at least in oS 11.1, haven’t seen that in 11.3 yet).

I’ve had no problems with logitech wireless combos, except that I’d recommend mouses powered by either two AAA batteries or one AA battery. Mouses with two AA batteries are heavy, something you specially note if you alternate between it and a wired one (like at home and at work). Use either alkaline or rechargeable batteries, and keep one spare battery set handy for the mouse at least.

Anyway, Logitech (and probably MS) kbds and mouse last longer IME. You usually get what you pay for.

I should’ve be more specific.
My idea was a mechanical keyboard. I just really need to hear a click or feel at least really a point that i know the letter gets printed. With my current keyboard it happens all the time that i press caps but its not printed. Its an old keyboard alright.
I took a look at a razor keyboard. Looks kinda nice and its not so expensive. (around $70ish)

I should’ve be more specific.
My idea was a mechanical keyboard. I just really need to hear a click or feel at least really a point that i know the letter gets printed. With my current keyboard it happens all the time that i press caps but its not printed. Its an old keyboard alright.
I took a look at a razor keyboard. Looks kinda nice and its not so expensive. (around $70ish)
I think the mechanical click is an annoyance myself, but if your keyboard is not working as you like, I would go out tonight and buy a new one if I could afford it. It is one of those things that you must interact with constantly and it needs to work and work as you like.

Thank You,

Then take a look at the MicroSoft Wireless 3000 with BlueTrack mouse, I got mine on sale for $30. The keys are tactile and the mouse is one of the most accurate I’ve used. It works from at least 20ft away.

Lately, though my favorite tactile keyboard is the accessibility on screen keyboard. Mostly on Windows 7 using the MS Wireless 3000 BlueTrack mouse and on screen keyboard instead of the MS keyboard. Slow but leisurely pecking on screen, hide or resize the keyboard as necessary, not good for posting or gaming but on screen keyboard is good enough for surfing, limited typing.

(I also have 2 Gear Head Wireless mice that replaced 2 wired USB mice. The gaming PC uses the Gear Head Laser Tilt Wheel.)

Well, you partily right. They can be anoying.
But i found that for typing in general they are more accurate. Well, maybe it depends from what you come from. I always had problems with keyboard that have not a real rest point.
Also, i recently seen there are some option and not having a real anoying loud click sound, but where you feel the click.
I think i might check out fry’s (i hate that store) but they do have a lot of demos usually.

Well, you partily right. They can be anoying.
But i found that for typing in general they are more accurate. Well, maybe it depends from what you come from. I always had problems with keyboard that have not a real rest point.
Also, i recently seen there are some option and not having a real anoying loud click sound, but where you feel the click.
I think i might check out fry’s (i hate that store) but they do have a lot of demos usually.
I do agree that your best bet is to go try a new keyboard out and even ask if you can connect one to a running computer. It is funny that you mention Fry’s. I do not hate this store, it is more like an addition I must stay away from, like smoking. If I had no will power at all, I would spend every dime I had at that store. I am not sure how people do there who do not know anything about computers, but I don’t need any help when I go, as I already know what to buy. I did have a credit card with them a few years ago, but I had to shred it as it was killing my budget. So, I guess I love to hate them. lol!

Thank You,

Well, let me just that much, that i know how this store works from the inside.
Their credit card is crappy too. I owned one. One of the worst banks if you have to deal with them.

They do, however, have great prices and have the widest selection. And thats from nuts&bolts to big flat tv’s.
But my hate is more on a personal level.

You might check these people out.
Lots of people really love this particular keyboard
Customizer 104/105

The keyboards are meant to last many years of use and are priced accordingly.

These remind me of the keyboard i worked in the shipping department. Gee, that so long ago and we had a green&black screen and no windows.
Well, thanks for the tip. I take that into consideration.