Kernel incompatibility?

I am trying to install OpenSUSE 12.3 32bit on an old desktop that I have sitting around. I am able to boot from the installation CD, but regardless of what options I pick in the first menu (E.g. Text-mode, Safe Settings, No ACPI) as soon as I try to proceed I get a kernel panic with a message like: *kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init exitcode=0x00000009 *or *kernel panic - not syncing: watchdog detected hard lockup on cpu 0. *This happens when I try do an install, rescue or media check.

I know that the media is good, the check sum matches and I have run a media check on a different pc. I have also tried two separate dvd drives.

System info:

• ASUS A7N8X
  • AMD Athlon XP+ 2400
  • 2GB ram

I am fairly new to the linux world and I have no clue where to start when I can even get to a terminal… Help? :wink:

What info do you need, and how can I get it? Thanks in advance!

What video? this is often a video problem.

Did you try the noKMS option. that should use default drivers and not try to match the driver to the card.

If you can not get the latest openSUSE to install and you feel the disk is good, you got to try something else, another linux distro or even a 64 bit version of openSUSE, if supported. Pay attention to the kernel version that works, should you find one. For reference, can you post your full hardware (if you have anymore to tell) specifications for disk space, to know what is not working.

Thank You,

On 2013-07-03 23:26, jcrenfro wrote:
>
> I am trying to install OpenSUSE 12.3 32bit on an old desktop that I have
> sitting around. I am able to boot from the installation CD, but
> regardless of what options I pick in the first menu (E.g. Text-mode,
> Safe Settings, No ACPI) as soon as I try to proceed I get a kernel panic
> with a message like: -kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init
> exitcode=0x00000009 -or-kernel panic - not syncing: watchdog detected
> hard lockup on cpu 0. -This happens when I try do an install, rescue or
> media check.

The first thing is to verify that the CD is correct, but the media check
does not run - so first you have to verify that your download is
correct. See the instructions here:

SDB:Download
help - checksum

If that is correct, the next step is to verify that the CD matches the
image. Hold on… 12.3 can not be copied on a CD, it is too big. What
are you using?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Did you try the noKMS option. that should use default drivers and not try to match the driver to the card.

Yep tried it, I got a kernel crash with a recursive fault…

If you can not get the latest openSUSE to install and you feel the disk is good, you got to try something else, another linux distro or even a 64 bit version of openSUSE, if supported.

I also tried the latest Ubuntu server release… no joy. This CPU does not support 64bit architecture.

The first thing is to verify that the CD is correct, but the media check
does not run - so first you have to verify that your download is
correct.

So I miss-spoke a little bit. I burned it to a dvd (not a cd) and yes it is 12.3. The dvd md5 checksum is correct, and I was able to successfully boot and run a media check on the dvd from a different computer. I am convinced that the media is correct.

**Additional system info:

• AGP Video Card: PowerColor R96-C3G Radeon 9600PRO 128MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
  • MOBO: ASUS A7N8X rev 1.04
  • RAM: 3GB (single channel @ 166 mhz)
  • Hard Drives: two Maxtor drives on the same IDE ribbon, I think they are 80GB and 40GB and the larger is master

Any thoughts? How should I proceed?

UPDATE – SOLVED!

So while I was writing the additional system info in the last post, I noticed that the RAM frequency was 166MHz… and the CPU was only at 133. I stumbled across a random forum where someone mentioned that the ASUS a7n8x series MOBO is unstable when the RAM and CPU are at different speeds. So I disabled the auto configuration of the RAM in the BIOS, and slowed it down to 133MHz… BINGO!

So this appears to have been a hardware/bios config problem. Thanks for the help, hopefully someone will find this thread someday and avoid the pain I went through trying to figure this out!

Cheers

On 2013-07-04 18:26, jcrenfro wrote:
>
> UPDATE – SOLVED!
> So while I was writing the additional system info in the last post, I
> noticed that the RAM frequency was 166MHz… and the CPU was only at
> 133. I stumbled across a random forum where someone mentioned that the
> ASUS a7n8x series MOBO is unstable when the RAM and CPU are at different
> speeds. So I disabled the auto configuration of the RAM in the BIOS, and
> slowed it down to 133MHz… BINGO!

Wow!

> So this appears to have been a hardware/bios config problem. Thanks for
> the help, hopefully someone will find this thread someday and avoid the
> pain I went through trying to figure this out!

Indeed… I never buy Asus. You gave me another reason not to :wink:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)