Kernel headers

I’m trying to install some wireless drivers, but apparently I don’t have a /lib/modules/<kernel>/build directory, which is causing the Makefile to throw an error. Is there a specific place I should point the Makefile at?

And apologies if this is in the wrong section. I wasn’t sure exactly where to ask this as I have the feeling it’s not just a wireless internet issue.

kernel header should be installed
you may need kernel-source
and kernel-*flavour-devel
*flavour= desktop, default, PAE (whichever you have)

and of course
make, gcc

make sure versions numbers match in the kernel packages.

What’s the difference between the noarch and src versions?

EDIT: My kernel is 2.6.31.5-0.1, so would kernel-source-vanilla-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.noarch.rpm be the way to go?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

noarch is a plataform independent software, src is the source of a software

VampirD

General Failure is the supreme commander of the Microsoft army.
All operation made by this army ends on him.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAksmrDUACgkQuyH6KAqYAt3OFACfcBlJh1eiQZRaAJSVJNk77pqR
nh8An14E/HJJYXZA4ov0/Po77x5PSypF
=osGg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Okay, so say I downloaded the noarch version to my USB drive, rebooted, and attempted to load it on my openSUSE…how would I go about doing that?

Wait, what do you download to your USB drive? the kernel sources? if
so you may have a rpm file, install it with rpm

VampirD

General Failure is the supreme commander of the Microsoft army.
All operation made by this army ends on him.

iEYEARECAAYFAksmsUEACgkQuyH6KAqYAt2oWgCfVanEDkX4G52UjNcijH/2uTGC
7d0An35Am8ZXr7B6EtBkAScw9t+pl5gG
=DgCi

This is getting incredibly frustrating.

I download the following: kernel-source, kernel-desktop, and kernel-desktop-dev.

I click on kernel-source, and it appears to install properly, but who knows, as I didn’t do it through the terminal, so there’s no indication of success other than a lack of errors.

So, I click on kernel-desktop, and get an error saying it’s already been installed. Okay, cool.

I click on kernel-desktop-dev, and it tells me the kernel-source doesn’t match, even though their numbers are exactly the same.

To top it off, I screwed up the bottom task bar, so now the things that were on the right are smushed up with everything on the left.

It shouldn’t be this hard, and I’m seriously wondering if it’s worth all the hassle.

It would most likely be considerably LESS frustrating if you told us WHAT wireless drivers you’re trying to install as most of them are available as KMPs which you can install and go.

Also in general you should not download and install things like kernel-source, unless you know what you are doing. Install via Yast-Software-Software Management. This will resolve any dependencies and make sure it is installed in the correct location.

For proprietary drivers and such you are forced to do the download and install thing.

Use the wired connection and as root type zypper in kernel-source
kernel-desktop kernel-desktop-dev

and please post what wireless card do you have, the driver may exist
compiled

VampirD
No in elenath hîlar nan hâd gîn

iEYEARECAAYFAksmzgUACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVkxlACfY/4+WjhrnxriWHbtMkmKx3iM
YgEAoIwYEjD0wsSbKqpXifOo41vr6phy
=ImvV

My wireless setup/woes can be found at: Wireless problems w/ Broadcom - openSUSE Forums

OK OK, I supose you have a wired network, add some repo for the broadcom
driver, “zypper ar
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Grieff/openSUSE_11.2
broadcom” as root and then as root too type “zypper se broadcom” and
install the correct package for you kernel, for example “zypper in
broadcom-wl-kmp-default”

VampirD

iEYEARECAAYFAksm1b0ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVkhUgCfdDBEAdCZqXRpdddElO5bux6a
rx4AoPDdUqsJSznMklr7u6hfxm2VvNn3
=7MWo

I was able to install it, but still no luck in getting it to recognize the hardware. Do I need to reboot?

EDIT: How does one turn on a driver? YaST can see that there’s a driver for the wireless under Hardware Information, but it’s ‘Active’ attribute has a value of 'No"

Try rebooting, I don’t remember the driver module to load it manually

VampirD

iEYEARECAAYFAksm2+4ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVn8eACeKicQcQP9oBt5iGwLO58Ri1tu
0IYAn3V0fZj3PUpWpV5u+dRzXj7bP8xM
=daS3

Actually, I think I got it. I had to fiddle with the kernel settings in YaST. It recognized my wireless router.

Here’s hoping it works!

Okay, here’s where I’m at.

The drivers I downloaded seemed to have worked, at least partially. YaST’s Network Device screen still doesn’t have a wireless option, but I was able to get the Network Connections screen to recognize the Broadcom by adding its PCI value to the kernel under the kernel modification screen.

So, it recognized my wireless router, which is definitely a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, it’s still not working. Here’s what iwconfig says:

kevin@linux-r20v:~> /usr/sbin/iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Link Quality:5  Signal level:0  Noise level:160
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

I’m a bit concerned with that signal level value. I know a signal is being sent as it recognized the name of my router, and it’s working on my Windows partition. Is it a firewall issue? Or do I need to play with my Linksys to get it working?

I’m going to cross-post this back in my topic in the wireless sub-forum as well.

Do you try NetworkManager to configure the wireless card?

VampirD

iEYEARECAAYFAksm5oQACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVkHXgCgtxCuCR0hLrkI6qtXNbsu0Ib7
faUAn3AgS073g2yn2WRigi9LcXpiohN1
=tQhA

Well, after having to tweak the config file, I got NetworkManager to work. Pretty sad that a bug reported back in version 10 (according to the wiki) hasn’t been addressed yet.

Now, I’m stuck because Kwallet is acting buggy and not accepting my password (I’m certain I’m typing it correctly).

For an OS that’s supposed to be rock solid, it certainly is buggy as hell. Missing kernel header (no build), not automatically turning on the wireless card itself, forcing me to add it to the kernel settings, not automatically having NetworkManager run out of the box, and now a centralized password program that keeps bugging out on me (I got a KDE module had an error message before rebooting).

It shouldn’t be this hard, time consuming, and frustrating.

How much did you pay for it again? http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/Chrysantine/sherlock.gif

Also, I’m not having any of the issues you’re having but then again, I know what I’m doing and you’re just whining because you don’t understand how things work.

I’d be surprised if anywhere openSUSE professes to be ‘Rock Solid’ - because it’s more or less a testing ground for Novell Enterprise products. I doubt even Windows would make the ‘Rock Solid’ claim, because it isn’t.

I might personally make such a claim, because for me, it is, well it feels that way.

All the kernel and build packages have worked spot on for me.

Networkmanager has been fraught with issues, but for me it works perfectly:) (Good for me)
Kwallet has not, at least that I am aware of, had any real problems. Again, for me it’s faultless. I suggest deleting all your kwallet config files and start again.