kernel 3.0 headers

Where can I find the kernel-headers and development files needed to compile drivers for the 3.0 kernel?

Where can I find the kernel-headers and development files needed to compile drivers for the 3.0 kernel?

So normally if you install the kernel-source and kernel development packages, I would think you get all that you need. I guess if you then compiled your own kernel 3.0, you would have it all. The following blog has one way to do this:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.50 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

On 07.08.2011 04:46, zuser wrote:
>
> Where can I find the kernel-headers and development files needed to
> compile drivers for the 3.0 kernel?
>
>

Always try YaST first , whatever it is you try.

YaST > SW Management >Search > kernel > kernel-devel.

Vahis

http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.14-0.8-default “Evergreen” main host
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop in VirtualBox
openSUSE 11.4 (i586) 3.0.0-39-desktop “Tumbleweed” in EeePC 900

Thanks< James.
I have only ever used your SAKC script and has worked for me several times. The reason for this post is related to my comments in the"Kernel 3.0" thread. The 3.0 kernel seems to work fine in ever aspect except can not get the rtl8192se driver to compile or load in any fashion.

The driver is included in the 3.0 kernel but not loading. I tried to compile the driver from Realtek, as I have always done before, but am having trouble with that as well. Guess I’m grasping at straws to resolve the issues of this kernel/driver combination.

So, if the driver compiles and works with an older kernel, but does not work with kernel 3.0, it could be an incompatibility with the new kernel or a bug with the new kernel or the source file. For instance the Broadcom BCM43xx driver required a patch for kernels above 2.6.37 and so perhaps one is required for yours as well to work with kernel 3.0. I am thinking I would drop back one, to 2.6.39 say, if that was the last kernel that worked with your WiFi. You could post a bug report with Realtek as it is likely this is where the problem is at. Why not post a link to the source file and provide the exact number this hardware goes under. I would be happy to look at it though its hard to do a lot without the actual hardware.

Thank You,

James,
Thanks for your comments. I am fairly well baffled by the situation. The rtl8192se driver is in the 3.0 kernel but not recognized on my system. The kernel seems to have compiled and function perfectly otherwise and I was hopeful to get the wifi issue solved as the 3.0 seems to have taken care of the fan control problems on my Toshiba. Have been running since Friday afternoon on wired connection and no temperature problems at all. I still have intermittent temp problems with 2.38-2 kernel which the wifi driver works well with. Both kernels compiled with SAKC.

Further, cannot get driver downloaded from Realtek to compile, shows errors and stops on “make”. I know there are various comments on the forums re the rtl driver but I have not had any serious issues with them for last year or so…

And lastly, I downloaded 12.1 m3 since it has the 3.0 kernel. I got the live kde cd and booted the Toshiba. WOW, wifi was recognized and seemed it was going to work but there was no fan on and system rapidly overheated before I got it configured. I have an nvidia graphics card and can only boot using “nomodeset” cheat code, thus no temp control.

James,
Thanks for your comments. I am fairly well baffled by the situation. The rtl8192se driver is in the 3.0 kernel but not recognized on my system. The kernel seems to have compiled and function perfectly otherwise and I was hopeful to get the wifi issue solved as the 3.0 seems to have taken care of the fan control problems on my Toshiba. Have been running since Friday afternoon on wired connection and no temperature problems at all. I still have intermittent temp problems with 2.38-2 kernel which the wifi driver works well with. Both kernels compiled with SAKC.

Further, cannot get driver downloaded from Realtek to compile, shows errors and stops on “make”. I know there are various comments on the forums re the rtl driver but I have not had any serious issues with them for last year or so…

And lastly, I downloaded 12.1 m3 since it has the 3.0 kernel. I got the live kde cd and booted the Toshiba. WOW, wifi was recognized and seemed it was going to work but there was no fan on and system rapidly overheated before I got it configured. I have an nvidia graphics card and can only boot using “nomodeset” cheat code, thus no temp control.

So, I am sure I do not know what is wrong, but there is no doubt you could compile kernel 3.0.1 into openSUSE 12.1 if you wanted to. It seems that if WiFi does work in 12.1, then the issue is something incompatible in openSUSE 11.4 and kernel 3.0 which is very possible. I would surely give the latest kernel version a try in openSUSE 12.1 and see if the future is going to be better for you. It is funny I guess to see such combinations of distro and kernel affecting your hardware operation in such a manner. As for nVIDIA, I just install the latest driver (up to 280.13 now) the hard way and never look back. I do not even consider using nomodeset as a problem but just a path to using the latest nVIDIA driver.

Thank You,