KDENlive from Packman?

Wow! KDENlive sure looks amazing - truly professional quality - and I really need these capabilities - but I installed from Pacman and it didn’t work at all. During troubleshooting, it looks like you have to separately install MLT, which I then did, but now when I start it up a dialog box appears:

Cannot find the melt program required for rendering (part of Mlt)

:shame:I tried navigating to several of the .so files in the /usr/lib64 directory (openSuSE 11.1), but it didn’t like them. Shouldn’t YaST have installed and linked all libraries? :’(

I build bacula, apcpusd, and a few others for repos, and sometimes there’s trouble with the x64 library locations - maybe that’s the case here? In that case, this may be a bug report?

Please Help!
Thanks!
Patti

If it’s necessary to run KDENlive to have mlt Yast should. And when I install kde4-KDENlive it installs libmlt1 and libmlt++2

It now asks me for the place of the mlt Profiles, if I keep that your question comes about the melt program. So I perform a search in the Software installer for ‘melt’ with all options checked and it gives ‘mlt’ as a result. Installed ‘mlt’ and restarted KDENlive, it now gives me the welcome screen. It finds all required parts and codecs installed in the next screen, does the additional info, the system check, I click finish and am confronted with a good looking interface…

You’re right, the packagers should set ‘mlt’ as a requirement. Install it, and your KDENlive will start. I haven’t used the latest versions, will try it out now that you drew my attention.

So just install ‘mlt’.

Supporting what Knurpht stated, the packager of kdenlive sent me this in an email some time back:

The actual package is missing a direct dependency to mlt package (kdenlive needs /usr/bin/melt at runtime). So if someone gets the error message: “… cannot find melt programm …” the solution is to install the package mlt-0.4.2 (PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket mlt) manually.

I had the same problem and the solution posted of instaling milt worked fine.

Wow, thanks!!! Somehow mlt+±unstable and mlt-unstable had gotten installed, so when I installed the mlt version everyone suggested, YaST offered to uninstall those, which I did. Now KDENlive starts OK except for a missing “QImage module” - it looks like that is part of MLT, so maybe that error is normal?

WOW!!! That KDEnlive is a thing of beauty - what an amazing setup. I especially love the video tutorials - I seriously need to contribute to this project. It blows the gloves off Elements (again, wow!)

Actually, since this thread is here… Is there a way to ask the packager to make kdenlive 0,7.5 available for suse 11.1? It’s been out for a while. I tried to build it from source, but doing that is a bit non-standard (not configure, make, make install), and I gave up after a short attempt.

I tried as well, but I struggled. 0.7.5 needs a newer version of MLT, and that (newer MLT version) is not so easy to build. It least it was difficult for me.

I think the packager (who goes by handle oc2pus on this forum) , who nominally packages many openSUSE applications, has been taking a break from packaging openSUSE rpms for a while, as I have not seen any recent packages packaged by him. He has not responded to any of my emails (where I volunteered to test 0.7.5 when he finally gets around to packaging it), which suggests to me he is taking a “vacation” from packaging. In the past he has responded immediately.

I think as keen users (who really like kdenlive) we can just monitor this for a while, and then maybe if it goes much longer, ask on the #packman IRC channel as to the status of packages packaged by user oc2pus (he nominally goes by his proper name, as opposed to that handle, where his name is listed on the Packman site).

The availability of kdenlive for openSUSE-11.2 will be a possible blocking item for me … ie I will not migrate my main PC to 11.2 GM (in November-2009) unless kdenlive packaged for 11.2 is available.

Packman already knows: [packman] kdenlive 0.7.5 is out](http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/packman/2009-July/007177.html)
I suppose most of them are in the beach for August :wink:

MLT just requires of the classic autotools system: ./configure && make && make install, and kdenlive itself uses cmake, the standard KDE4 system.

The OBS isn’t in its best state right now and the build could take some time, but home:RedDwarf:multimedia has MLT 0.4.4 and home:RedDwarf:KDE:Factory has kdenlive 0.7.5. Note that kdenlive is built against KDE:KDE4:Desktop:Factory (KDE 4.3), it could or could not work on the default KDE 4.1.3 from openSUSE 11.1.

Thanks, I gave this a test on my sandbox PC (not that it needed a test, … but I was curious). My sandbox PC is rather slow - an athlon-1100 with 1GB RAM and a nVidia FX5200, with KDE-4.3 on openSUSE-11.1 in the test partition.

I removed the Packman kde4-kdenlive and installed kdenlive and the mlt, libmlt1, and libmlt++2 from your repos (I used Smart Package Manager as opposed to zypper but that should make no difference):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/RedDwarf:/multimedia:/KDE:/Factory/openSUSE_11.1/

Installation went well, and I was able to import some video files and create/render to a small output clip.

Although the test was limited, the kdenlive-0.75 you built appears to work well on that PC.

The OBS is really in bad shape :open_mouth:
I first built everything in home:RedDwarf:multimedia:KDE:Factory since I was doing a quick test and I just supposed everything was going to require of Packman packages.
But note that these packages are already removed from that repository (only Amarok and K3B are still there), you can still download them just because the OBS is being slow syncing this.

I put everything that doesn’t requires something special at home:RedDwarf (MLT with only DV support, frei0r, gavl), MLT with ffmpeg support is at home:RedDwarf:multimedia since it requires ffmpeg from Packman and kdenlive is at home:RedDwarf:KDE:Factory since isn’t compiled against a raw openSUSE but against KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop.

My latest MLT package is splitted in: libmlt++2, libmlt1, libmlt1-data, libmlt1-modules and melt. There isn’t a “mlt” package anymore.

Note that I never used kdenlive before. I’m still trying to understand how to use frei0r filters… should they appear mixed with the normal filters?

I also went ahead an installed from this repository. For me it was a bit more work. I use gnome, and I decided to take the plunge and upgrade KDE runtime to 4.3. Whether this was necessary or not, I don’t know. I do actually think that it cleaned up my kde libraries a bit though, so maybe it was a good thing.

Anyway, I then installed the same mlt and kdenlive rpms as oldcpu. My first experience was very positive! Under my last kdenlive installation, if I added several rows to the file sequentially, it would invariably crash on the 3rd. That is no longer the case.:slight_smile: I was so happy that I stopped testing.:wink:

In any event, thanks a lot!

My experience with KDElive is row-0 (for videos) is flakey and row 1 and 2 are better ( where I use row 3 and 4 for audio). I found with kdenlive-0.7.4 and earlier, if I used row zero for videos, I often had crashes when trying to tune transitions to other rows. So I stopped using row zero, and with row 1 and 2, I don’t have those crashes. I only use row 0 now for Text effects.

I’m hoping to install KDE-4.3 on more than just my Sandbox PC, and when I do, I’ll try to take advantage of RedDwarf’s packaged kdenlive in a more operational sense (I am a heavy KDEnlive user, albeit I only do simple things with it).

KDEnlive 0.7.5-1.1

installed from

Index of /repositories/home:/RedDwarf:/KDE:/Factory/openSUSE_11.1

openSuse 11.1
KDE 4.3.1

Have also installed

mlt, libmlt1, and libmlt++2 0.4.4-8.1

from

Index of /repositories/home:/RedDwarf:/multimedia/openSUSE_11.1

I have sync problems with video’s audio. It is a project that I was working on with KDEnlive 0.7.5-1. It had no problems. I have tested the same clip in Kaffine and there are no syncing issues, so the problem lies in Kdenlive or MLT.

Any suggestions of how the problem might be fixed?

If the sync is just in the output rendering, and if it is consistent across the entire file, then you could use an app like avidemux to take the kdenlive output and resync. … But if the sync is specific to some clips, then that approach will not work.

A packman packaged kdenlive 0.7.5 is now available for openSUSE-11.0 and 11.1. I believe the packager may have changed (the Packman web page is not completely up to date if that is the case). PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket kde4-kdenlive

Its not ready for the big-time just yet… I copy a clip, get ready to cut-n-paste another and it crashes.

edit: well, If I do small clips and just render it, it will work… :-/ not really useable to edit my videos.

I always work with small clips. Typically I will input many small clips (4 seconds to 8 seconds length on average) together to create a 5 to 20 minute clip (dependent on the PC I am working on). Then I will take a number of 5 to 20 minute clips and simply join them together at the same time that I create a larger video_ts directory for a DVD.

Short 5 to 20 minute clips are not a limitation for me.

My rule of thumb is to keep the kdenlive produced clips under 10 minutes in length. I find with my athlon-1100 with 1GB RAM, clips around 5 minutes in length are better, and 10 minutes involves a number of crashes. On my Intel Core i7 920 with 6GB of RAM I find 20 minute videos are relatively easy to achieve.

kdenlive version 0.7.6 is much more stable than the older version 0.7.4.

My wife on occasion will use MS-Windows Movie Maker on her Sempron-2600 with 1GB of RAM, and it is less stable than kdenlive.

I am scratching my head over this “big time” comment. If one wants “big time”, then IMHO one needs to spend the big $$ to get a full up commercial package.

Intermediary commercial packages (costing just under $100 to $500 or more) can be purchased for the MS-Windows or MacIntosh operating systems.

Or if one has a budget of MANY thousands of $$, one can buy a full up NLE for Linux or for Windows, for the “BIG TIME”.

But for a package that costs no money, I believe kdenlive is pretty good. And the progress that is continually being made to improve it is good.

and on the other hand, if you release software it shouldnt crash on you. You get what you pay for, I know.