KDE5

Got it.
Selecting plasma5-session automatically selects the other 3 in the right repo.
I´m going to install and check how´s everything.

Thanks

Ok so, i managed to do it right an is currently running. To this time it locks like a final release, no annoying bugs or crashes.
What i noticed was, in the first login, the system when trying to get connection with my router, the window that asked to prompt my password was not recognizing the keyboard.
I had to “disconnect” and then in the network settings write the password.

Noticed that in the System Settings, a lot of applications are missing, like Yast for ex.

Any other problem ill report.

Anyone else using it?

Thanks once again for your help wolfi323.

I did use it most of the day today, and kwin5 was rock stable.
I managed to crash Plasma5 once though, when browsing the application menu…

What i noticed was, in the first login, the system when trying to get connection with my router, the window that asked to prompt my password was not recognizing the keyboard.
I had to “disconnect” and then in the network settings write the password.

Well, my connection just worked, maybe because I configured my wireless as “system connection”.
But I noticed a similar problem when trying to edit the connection. I was asked for the root password, but after entering it correctly, I just got an error (unable to authorize or similar). But then clicking on Edit again just worked without me having to enter a password.

Noticed that in the System Settings, a lot of applications are missing, like Yast for ex.

They are not really missing, but the categorization has been completely reworked.
And some entries of course depend on particular packages installed. F.e. for powermanagement you have to have powerdevil5 installed. Not all of them are available for KF5 yet.
And YaST of course was an openSUSE-specific addition. Because Plasma 5 is brand new, there are no openSUSE-specific patches or integration yet, not even default configuration changes or an openSUSE theme.

Anyone else using it?

I first installed it in February I think (from KDE:Unstable:Frameworks, the packages installed to /opt/kf5 back then), because I wanted to take part in the development.
Since then I run it from time to time to see the progress or test some stuff.

The last weeks I couldn’t install the latest versions any more of course, because the packages have been changed to conflict with KDE4. So I basically was stuck with some Beta version. (I didn’t and don’t want to fully switch to Plasma 5 yet)
That’s actually the main reason why I created those packages in the first place…

Thanks once again for your help wolfi323.

You’re welcome.

I am using a factory (installed from an iso from earlier this month) and it doesn’t seem to work for me. KDE5 works fine but it removes the kdebase4 packages before installing - so I’ve lost KDE4.

Is it suppossed to install a seperate .kde5 folder in home?

Well, the packages failed to build for factory, because I forgot to add KDE:Frameworks5 as Build dependency there.

So you actually installed the packages from KDE:Frameworks5 instead, which conflict with KDE4.

I noticed this a few hours ago and fixed it, but the packages have not finished building yet. They should be ready in a few minutes though.
So please be patient, and sorry for the inconvinience

To get KDE4 back, you should just have to install kdebase4-session.

Is it suppossed to install a seperate .kde5 folder in home?

No.
KDE5 uses ~/.config and ~/.local, which is the freedesktop standard for quite some time.
~/.kde4 was just a relict from older times.

Just like GNOME3 uses ~/.config and ~/.local, whereas GNOME2 used ~/.gnome2.

Just updating my experience with it, i noticed that my laptop heats up a lot. Ksysguard shows that kd5 is constantly using 43 to 50% of one core of the CPU (Dual Core). To me its not normal.

My wireless connection is ok now. Had to do the same process twice to establish connection with my router.

One other thing, i have KDE SC and KDE Extras repos for 4.13 disabled. Is it safe to enable them again?

Thanks

Of course not.
But what process uses the CPU?
kd5 doesn’t exist.

I guess you mean kded5. In that case try to disable all services in Systemsettings->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services and see if that helps. Then enable them one by one to find out which one is causing it.
This might be caused by powerdevil, I read bug reports about this even for KDE4.

I noticed something similar during the Betas here, but it seems gone now for me. I never could get powerdevil to work back then, the config module always showed it is unable to start. I suppose that was the problem.

Another culprit (also already reported against KDE4) might be PulseAudio, which I do not even have installed here.

One thing I did notice today was that kwin5 used the XRender backend by default.
This can of course also explain a higher CPU usage. So check in Systemsettings->Display and Monitor->Compositor that the Rendering backend is set to OpenGL (depends on your graphics card/driver though of course).

One other thing, i have KDE SC and KDE Extras repos for 4.13 disabled. Is it safe to enable them again?

Of course.
It was never unsafe.

Or do you want to know whether KDE 4.13 is safe to use?

@dth2:
The packages for Factory are available in the meantime.
Just install kdebase4-workspace and YaST should want to switch the plasma5 packages to my versions automatically I think (you would have to allow the vendor change though).

If you get a conflict where you cannot switch to my packages, do so manually by using the “Versions” tab.

Well, the packages failed to build for factory, because I forgot to add KDE:Frameworks5 as Build dependency there.

So you actually installed the packages from KDE:Frameworks5 instead, which conflict with KDE4.

I noticed this a few hours ago and fixed it, but the packages have not  finished building yet. They should be ready in a few minutes though.

Many thanks wolfi323 - I will try again tonight.

I did experience the same problem today, and now again the config module showed that the Powermanagement Service is not running.
So apparently that gets stuck during startup.

Disabling the “Powermanagement” service in Systemsettings->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services should fix it then, if your issue is indeed the same.

I’m not sure why I didn’t see this yesterday, I have even looked into the config module and everything was fine. Maybe that was because I used KDE4 (including Powerdevil4) before, and didn’t reboot, just logout. Today when I had the problem, I immediately logged into Plasma5 right after boot.

I will try to find out whether that’s a general problem with powerdevil5, or maybe some installation problem in my packages.

Depending when you tried, and which packages where used - powerdevil in principle did not load.
Main problem was with missing KAuth DBus service configuration file (that made backlighthelper stuck, etc).
This is valid for ‘regular’ KF5/Plasma5 packages, so i guess also yours.
If you experience the same after todays update (the .conf is now whitelisted, thus installed by package), check your powerdevil5 package - it needs polkit actions in /usr (or it should just work with 4.x variant) + DBus service and configuration file (those IIRC can be out of prefix, but with a local ‘override’ of dirs where DBus looks, and additionally the .conf file from 4.x should do). Other than that, iirc KAuth macros create services dependent on KAuth prefix, so check are the paths inside correct.
This kind of problems where one of the reasons why we’ve gone for full install in /usr for ‘standard’ packages.

Thanks very much wolfi323. I tried again - using the revised plasma5-session rpm from your factory repo - and it worked fine. I now have separate kde4 & plasma5 menu entries.

Well done & thanks for all your work and guidance.

So the service is really kded5 not kde5, and in Systemsettings->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services, all background services are stopped. Or do you mean the Startup Apps?

In Systemsettings->Display and Monitor->Compositor, is set to OpenGL 2.0 by default.

I´m using Kde 4.13.3 as my main desktop, i just asked if it was unsafe or not just for precaution. So is safe to enable them again :slight_smile:

There was an update to Plasma 5 today but at first glance its all the same.

Yes, I branched the package(s) from KF5.

But only those few that explicitely conflict with the KDE4 packages, mainly plasma5-desktop, plasma5-workspace, and powerdevil5.
Other than that I use the standard KF5 packages installed to /usr.

If you experience the same after todays update (the .conf is now whitelisted, thus installed by package), check your powerdevil5 package - it needs polkit actions in /usr (or it should just work with 4.x variant) + DBus service and configuration file (those IIRC can be out of prefix, but with a local ‘override’ of dirs where DBus looks, and additionally the .conf file from 4.x should do).

My powerdevil5 package installs the polkit and dbus files to /opt/kf5. I am aware that this has no effect, but the point is to not conflict with kdebase4-workspace.
And I have kdebase4-workspace installed in parallel which has those files in /usr/ anyway.

So that update should not matter really.

Other than that, iirc KAuth macros create services dependent on KAuth prefix, so check are the paths inside correct.

Ok, I suppose that is the problem:
My /opt/kf5/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.service contains “Exec=/opt/kf5/lib64/libexec/kauth/backlighthelper”, whereas the one in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ (from kdebase4-workspace) has “Exec=/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/backlighthelper” (of course).

So obviously the KDE4 version of backlighthelper is called and seems to cause the problems.
Apparently this is the conflict I was looking for. I copied the kf5 version over to /usr as a test, and powerdevil starts fine according to powerdevil’s KCM and qdbusviewer.

Thanks for the hint!

Still, I’m not sure how to “fix” that. I can’t install the file to /usr of course. You mentioned an “override” for the directories DBUS looks at, I guess I’ll look into that direction…
But I’m wondering whether this can be overridden during login, via envvars f.e.
I wouldn’t want to do it system-wide, as that would break KDE4’s powermanagement I suppose and thus defeat the whole purpose of those packages.

Well, if I don’t find a solution, I’m thinking of just turning powerdevil5 into a dummy package that doesn’t install anything at all. This would prevent those problems.
It would also remove the powermanagement settings from Systemsettings5 though of course, but well.

This kind of problems where one of the reasons why we’ve gone for full install in /usr for ‘standard’ packages.

Yeah, I thought so.
Well, my purpose is just to provide a way for users to take a glance at the new Plasma 5 without having to uninstall KDE4 packages.
Actually mostly because I myself prefer to have it that way. :wink:

Thanks for your work on this with the earlier KDE:Unstable:Frameworks packages btw, I took the inspiration and some scripts (kf5.sh, macros.kf5) from there, at least partly.

As a sidenote, KF5’s plasma5-session package has this in plasma5.desktop:

Exec=/usr/startkde
TryExec=/usr/startkde

I suppose it should be “/usr/bin/startkde” in both cases? :wink:

No, I meant the “Background Services”.
As I’m pretty sure now that this is indeed caused by powerdevil, try to disable “Powermanagement” in there, i.e. remove the tick and click “Apply”.
The rest can stay activated.
You have to logout or reboot for full effect though, especially if kded5 is already stuck.

Btw, I cannot reproduce that CPU hogging issue any more now again. Does it happen every time for you?

I´m using Kde 4.13.3 as my main desktop, i just asked if it was unsafe or not just for precaution. So is safe to enable them again :slight_smile:

Yes.
It’s the purpose of my packages to not conflict with KDE4, regardless whether you use the standard repos only or the KDE:Current repo.
I am using KDE:Current (and Extras) myself.

Btw, I added KScreen2 now to my repo as well.
If you install that, you get the “Display Configuration” entry in “Display and Monitor” back.

I meant the update of libKF5Auth5 package :slight_smile:
Without /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.kf5auth.conf, DBus rejects any caller to org.kde.kf5auth interface (and every kauth helper does that)
IOW, this part was broken with also KF:5 and KUF packages.

I guess that could be resolved by sed post %cmake_kf5 call…

Wrt configuration, that is afaik, only possible via .conf file in /etc/dbus-1/
Wrt services, i think it actually even respects XDG envvars…
So, this all might work - with 4.x conf’s in place

Understood
I’m aware we’d have much more testers with this kind of setup, but we need to prepare packages for Factory, etc, so the move was imminent…

Welcome, i’m glad they are usefull for something/someone else

D’oh! :shame:
Tnx for the notice, i’m using local desktop file, so haven’t noticed…
Fixed it now

Ok so i disabled “Powermanagement” and now all looks fine and the process “kded5” is not using any CPU percentage :slight_smile: an yes, it happened to every time :frowning:

Also, enabled the other repos again and i´m gonna try adding KScreen2.

Thanks again.

I´ll report new issues when possible.

Ok.
But the powerdevil5 problem persists even after that update (when kdebase4-workspace is installed in parallel).

I did reproduce the “kded5 uses 1 core at 100%” problem again now btw, and according to the backtrace it seems indeed to hang when starting the backlight helper (the KDE4 version):

#5  0x00007faaa9bc91ce in KJob::exec() () from /usr/lib64/libKF5CoreAddons.so.5
#6  0x00007faa8f862941 in PowerDevilUPowerBackend::init() ()

I guess that could be resolved by sed post %cmake_kf5 call…

I don’t see how.
The paths are correct AFAICS, the problem seems to be just that the KDE4 version is used for org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.service and therefore KDE4’s backlighthelper.

Wrt configuration, that is afaik, only possible via .conf file in /etc/dbus-1/
Wrt services, i think it actually even respects XDG envvars…
So, this all might work - with 4.x conf’s in place

With configuration I suppose you mean /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.conf?
That’s not a problem at all, this file is exactly equal in both KDE4 and KF5 versions. So I just depend on the KDE4 version of this file present in /usr/share/ Again, the purpose of my packages is to be co-installed with KDE4. If one doesn’t want to have kdebase4-workspace installed he/she should use the standard packages from KF5 instead. I might even add an explicit dependency on kdebase4-workspace… :wink:

But the issue is about /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ and both powerdevil4 and powerdevil5 providing the same service “org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper” (with the helper executables in different paths, and KDE4’s helper not working in KF5).
At the moment I have no idea how it could be possible to tell DBUS to use the one from /opt/kf5 when logging into Plasma5 (i.e. set the standard_system_servicedirs to prefer /opt/kf5/…) and the one from /usr/share otherwise. AFAICS from a quick glimpse through the documentation, you can only set this in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf or /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.local (and maybe /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.d/, but would it be possible to make this conditional on the desktop session?).

I do of course prepend the /opt/kf5/ places to the XDG vars.
Everything else seems to be working as it should so far.

Well, anyway. This is not really a big issue in my eyes, especially regarding the scope of those packages. Only that possible CPU hog is annoying, but that should be prevented by disabling the powermanagement service in Systemsettings5.
I will work around that in one way or the other… :wink:

yes, you’re right, i’ve mixed up yours, and previous issues

yep, and that’s why i meant that this could go OK - if one could also force service in /opt lol!

Correct, that would be the tricky part. I haven’t really investigated this while packages where in /opt, as somehow the KF5 variants of services got started ‘automagically’, e.g. kuiserver5, etc. Though i might indeed had /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.local at the time…
According to DBus Activation for apps in prefix – Martin's Blog it looks the enviroment is not really looked up.
I would maybe, either: patch powerdevil so it doesn’t tries to start the helper, try to rename it (i wouldn’t see an issue in this, as others also would have similar problems as well - if not worse due to QtDBus segfaults with kauth helpers), ship a kded5rc with PowerDevil disabled by default…

But as you say:

is not that big deal, especially once you know why :slight_smile:

Surprisingly, moving powerdevil5’s backlighthelper.service file to /usr/share (and replacing KDE4’s one) didn’t show any negative effect with KDE4’s powermanagement… :wink:
But then, my system doesn’t have any backlights at all, so I cannot test this stuff.

Anyway, I went with renaming the backlighthelper service now to org.kde.powerdevil5.backlighthelper, and installing those dbus/polkit files to /etc and /usr to not have to mess around with the system search paths. (I could install the whole package to /usr now, but didn’t bother)

Thank you, sumski, for your valuable input! :slight_smile:

@hugosyt:
Could you try to enable the powermanagement service again after you updated the package?
Please check whether you still see kded5 using one CPU core, and whether the “Power Management” config module in Systemsettings5 works now.

The “Power Management” config settings works fine after updating the package (using factory). Before updating the rpm the config setting menu was broken.