KDE3 disappeared from graphical login selection (OS11.0)

Hi,

I used KDE3 with 11.0 with some KDE4 apps till I needed some applications from the KDE4 factory tree and mistakenly left the repository active. Next time the online update also updated most of the applications I would rather keep, and as a result the KDE3 disappeared from the KDM login choices. So I have two questions:

1. how to enable users to select KDE3 at login (currently I have to select failsafe mode and run startkde manually)

2. how to replay back an update I didn’t want to have?

Perhaps a combination of the above: can I upgrade to OS11.2 and keep KDE3? (please don’t tell me to switch to KDE4, I acknowledge and appreciate the effort and the improvements that KDE4 got, but it’s still not a replacement for KDE3 - there are so many simple things which are impossible in the new version).

Thanks for any help!

Boot to yast at level 3
**Level 3 Boot and Yast - Windows Live

**View Patterns and even if kde3 base and desktop are checked
Mark them again to re-install
apply

Perhaps a combination of the above: can I upgrade to OS11.2 and keep KDE3?

Yes, it’s still possible. However you should notice the following comment from the openSUSE-team:

WARNING: The KDE:KDE3 repository is currently not fully maintained and may not even update and build correctly. We also do not accept any bugreports for it. Use at your own risk - although currently (January 2009) it is still being regularly updated. …]

Full Wiki-article](KDE3 - openSUSE Wiki)

I suppose I will not have to repeat that you are riding a dead horse, but…

…] but it’s still not a replacement for KDE3 - there are so many simple things which are impossible in the new version …]

Using KDE4 since about eight months now I hardly can imagine what things are still missing. KDE4 is different, okay, but without using it you will never find out how to set it the way you need. I bet KDE3 didn’t came as you are using it now… Also note that KDE4 is improving and evolving rapidly. Just a hint.

gropiuskalle, I indeed use KDE4 every day at work, with OS11.2, so I know it did a great step forward, but still it’s like a project designed to look good, not work good (my personal opinion). Things I miss are all of relatively minor importance, but they were VERY logical, like, if you remember, adding an applet to the panel in one of the early KDE3 versions was just right click on the panel itself, then choose the applet from a plain list. That feature was gone in one of the updates, and the new mechanism (with a whole new window being open etc) wasn’t appealing at all. I also can’t find a nice-simple-easily configurable system monitor applet like the ksysguard was providing for KDE3. kuickshow was (and still is, in my opinion) the best image viewer, no gwenview or eog can ever compare, but now it’s gone…

but before I try the solution suggested I show give you thanks, guys, for your answers! It’s amazing, people being online on Sunday morning and replying questions in forums :slight_smile: That’s a strong support and I appreciate it!

That’s a strong support and I appreciate it!

You are very welcome! I hope I can provide some more hints.

…·] like, if you remember, adding an applet to the panel in one of the early KDE3 versions was just right click on the panel itself, then choose the applet from a plain list.

Okay, now it’s pretty much just as logical: make sure widgets are unlocked, then rightclick the apllication to be added to the panel in the KMenu and choose “Add to panel” (or something like this, I am on a german KDE here). Another way: just drag&drop it to where you want it to be.

I also can’t find a nice-simple-easily configurable system monitor applet like the ksysguard was providing for KDE3.

KSysguard was fully ported to KDE4, when hitting Alt + F2 (launching KRunner) you will see a button for it (the symbolized sysmon-icon).

kuickshow was (and still is, in my opinion) the best image viewer, no gwenview or eog can ever compare, but now it’s gone…

It is not. :slight_smile: It’s available via the KDE4-Community-repository.

Oops, I just noticed you were searching for some kind of systemmonitor-applet actually… did KSysguard use to provide this? I am not sure what this applet should do, but there are mountains of different sysmon-widgets available; I recommend a package called ‘plasmoid-yasp’ which provides a highly configurable systemmonitor which of course can be put in the panel too.

It might not be sunday morning everywhere though. :wink:

The solution offered by caf4926 worked out, thanks! Still weird though that such a thing has no manual tweak location, like a file with all WM registered explicitly (or I couldn’t find it)…

please_try_again: in Germany and UK it WAS Sunday morning by the time they answered :wink:

Good news then. At least, no black marks for me on this one;)

Hi gropiuskalle,

Tried the yasp widgets, not impressed at all. thought I’d just put a snapshot of my current kde3 ksysguard and weather applets to show what exactly I’m trying to have in kde4 as well.
http://www.desy.de/~dich/sysmon.jpg
The sysmon has some applets as well, of course, but their level of customizability is an order of magnitude lower, and the default values for background color being dark gray, and lines being light gray is not what I find comfortable :wink:

BTW, I’m not REALLY fully happy with the kde3 applets either, they have their flaws. But going a step back? no thanks!

Thanks for any help!