KDE Tumbleweed users: consider giving Wayland a chance

Wayland has less security problems on average.

Have been using Wayland for the last few months. For me no issues-AMD Raydeon.

I remain a faithful Wayland user, and havenā€™t logged in to an X11 session in many months. Further, most of the problems noted in my first post have disappeared.

However, my Wayland experience also isnā€™t perfect. I post to share a couple of fixes for problems that still occur occasionally.

#1: The plasma desktop freezes. Icons for closed apps remain in the panel, the time in the digital clock doesnā€™t change. My fix:

killall plasmashell
kstart plasmashell

#2: krunner access disappears. My fix:

killall krunner

There may be better remedies , but these work for me.

1 Like

Just curious, how often do you run into plasmashell crashes? After months of using Wayland exclusively, I bit the bullet and switched to an X11 session for now, as I was running into plasmashell crashing multiple times per day, which was also taking down things like Brave Browser, etc.

I believe from reviewing the list that all of the things Iā€™ve run into are addressed in Qt6/Plasma 6 based on the Wayland showstoppers page, but for now I feel compelled to deal with a few more stutters in exchange for keeping programs running.

John, as rarely as once every three days and as often as three times a day. Thatā€™s my rough estimate.

I remember that I used to have problems with Brave if I opened another Chromium-based browser at the same time, but that hasnā€™t occurred for awhile, and is the only Wayland-related problem that was a real inconvenience for me.

BTW, for others, something I should have mentioned in the earlier post: the fixes described above are in script files. As in:

#!/bin/bash
killall plasmashell
kstart plasmashell

When KDE Wayland works well with my laptopā€™s dedicated Nvidia card, Iā€™ll make the swap there. Iā€™ve already swapped on desktop, since all the important stuff works with AMD cards just fine.

i just installed tumbleweed with a kde desktop. is wayland already there or do i need to do extra setup to use it?

Just a matter of choosing the Plasma Wayland session at the displaymanager login screen.

3 Likes

i just reinstalled tumbleweed here and sometimes i get funky graphic errors and messages like this in dmesg:

[ 5270.843876] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu: [gfxhub0] no-retry page fault (src_id:0 ring:24 vmid:3 pasid:32770, for process kwin_wayland pid 2135 thread kwin_wayla:cs0 pid 2178)
[ 5270.843881] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:   in page starting at address 0x00006bcd534f5000 from IH client 0x1b (UTCL2)
[ 5270.843887] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu: VM_L2_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS:0x00300430
[ 5270.843889] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      Faulty UTCL2 client ID: IA (0x2)
[ 5270.843891] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      MORE_FAULTS: 0x0
[ 5270.843893] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      WALKER_ERROR: 0x0
[ 5270.843894] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      PERMISSION_FAULTS: 0x3
[ 5270.843896] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      MAPPING_ERROR: 0x0
[ 5270.843898] amdgpu 0000:07:00.0: amdgpu:      RW: 0x0

not sure why.

the screen remains messed for a while but it ā€˜healsā€™ itself.

I use Wayland all the time on my AMD 6800H CPU and GPU. Works great.
Only when I switch to X11 on the login screen I automatically use the Nvidia GPU.
I canā€™t let the builtin GPU work with X11, nor the Nvidia with Wayland (but as I read this is normal for the Nvidia GPU)
Wayland gives me no issues what soever.

1 Like

KDE wayland is a blackscreen for my gtx960 + proprietary drivers.
Wayland works great on solo slow games, playing RedDeadRedemption1/2 on it was amazing. But on most of the online games it is awful .
I hope Opensuse and plasma wont follw fedoras move, and will keep maintained X after plasma 6. At least waiting to have a non ā€œvsyncā€ wayland mod for gamers and a possibility to scale colors aswell.

Thatā€™s the difference between you and me: I donā€™t play games so I donā€™t have the problems you have when playing a game.

In concrete terms, the three cases for which wayland is not ready (with desktop/GPU environments where it works) are :
-video games (adapative framerate)
-video/photo editing (color scaling)
-multi-window applications
Wayland is safer, lighter, better, prettier. I just hope kde wont forget that it makes a lot of users.

Since my initial post on 3 June, I finally made the switch from Debian 12 to openSUSE Tumbleweed on desktop hardware (two systems) and Tumbleweed-Slowroll on an external USB SSD, because of numerous Plasmashell crashes occurring after an X11 login on Debian.

No issues with openSUSE using either X11 or Wayland.

2 Likes

wayland also is not ready under vmware workstation where copy/paste is broken for quite a long time. also nomachine doesnā€™t work ā€“ only a dark screen.

Updated today to the latest snapshot where I ended up in a situation where the x11 plasma desktop was gone. reverted the snapshot and see what that caused (now need to work with the vm ā€¦)