KDE Tumbleweed users: consider giving Wayland a chance

For me it depends on the hardware and its respective drivers.
On my laptop with an Intel CPU with integrated GPU KDE on Wayland works just fine for all of my current use cases.
On my desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen CPU with integrated GPU and the AMDGPU driver I’m still having some issues, for example with playing videos in full screen mode. On this machine I still prefer the X session.

I use Wayland/KDE on my Intel laptop and it is flawless, but my desktop is Intel/nVidia and I have to run X-11/KDE, but it is very close to being usable. I only have a few minor issues, mostly it hangs on shutdown/reboot and I have to wait for it to timeout.

I will admit that Wayland has come a long way in the past several months. The progress the team is making is impressive, to say the least.

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: KDE Plasma (Wayland) and SDDM Queries

Wayland with autologin is now also working fine for me, see the split off thread, I have a system integrated graphics.

Fedora plans to drop X11 entirely for KDE Plasma 6

Can take a while, OpenSuse is currently on KDE Plasma v: 5.27.5

2 Likes

I recently downloaded the Plasma image of GeckoLinux Rolling, which installs openSUSE Tumbleweed. Installed to a SanDisk Cruzer Glide thumb drive and separately installed the package to provide Wayland.

Using KDE, Wayland works perfectly and this is on a AMD Radeon GPU from 2009 inside a desktop. :+1:

1 Like

Apparently replying to my own posts which were split from this post (incorrectly because I was giving my own opinions on Wayland). @deano_ferrari, if you could be more mindful in the future, I choose to continue my thread of thoughts and was not informed that my posts had incorrectly been split from this thread. I simply went to my activity to find my old post, unknowing it had been split when my first post was “I switched to Wayland for a few hours before I had to rollback.”, which did not need to split as I was giving my opinion when I gave Wayland a chance. So asking me to come back to this thread when it’s the thread I originally posted in seems like a very big annoyance. I did not move my posts.

Catching up, I am unable to revert from Wayland back to X11 due to some trickery with the behavior screen giving multiple “Plasma (X11)” options. I have started my own thread on that here.

Yes, splitting the thread did introduce other problems. In any case best to keep technical assistance issues in the appropriate forum (as I see you’ve now done).

1 Like

For me, I’m too used to fast graphical remote desktops and for that, the best I’ve found is x2go.

There’s just nothing there right now to do that effectively.

pipewire afaik is just very basic and not designed (and possibly never could be?) for performance.

I realize that “the plan” (or effective plan) is for Xorg to die a miserable death, but for me, it will be a sad day.

I recommend people who don’t have nvidia or some troublesome third-party app to try out wayland if they haven’t already.

1 Like

I try Wayland from time to time. And it works pretty well. But I always find myself going back to X11. There are just a few little things that KDE under Wayland doesn’t get right. And maybe those are not important, but they are annoying.

1 Like
I try Wayland from time to time. And it works pretty well. But I always find myself going back to X11. There are just a few little things that KDE under Wayland doesn’t get right. And maybe those are not important, but they are annoying.

I am the same.

1 Like

After reboot from Wayland, it always go back to X11 (already mentioned in OP)

Anyway, I used it for couple of days, and found it better than I though it will be. Noticed only 2 small bugs for now, but haven’t looked more into these

1. Clementine (from repo) - When I move song to the top of playlist window, list doesn’t scroll up automatically
  2. Obsidian (from flathub) - I set shortcut to start the program (Ctrl+Shift+O), it works in X11, but not in Wayland. This one is weird :smiley:

I also cheked some CAD programs (BricsCAD, FreeCAD) and games (War Mongrels) little bit, and haven’t noticed any problems. Still, I should use it much more to confirm it all works well.

KDE Plasma: 5.27.5
Kernel: 6.3.4-1
Graphics: RX 570 4GB

Old thread but with the right title :wink:

Until recently I had problems switching my auto-login system to Wayland. Where before changing setting files was needed, it is now possible to switch to Wayland using KDE:

• Open KDE Settings (System → System Settings)
  • Startup and Shutdown
  • Behavior (button left under)
  • Then change the “with session” to “Plasma *Wayland)”

Also SDDM has been updated, with lLogout there is no wait anymore on the SDDM X11 session being terminated.

What are the advantages of Wayland over X11 you guys are experiencing. Otherwise, why change?

Good question, I did not immediately know the answer so I had a look at the Internet:

See this article, Why Use Wayland Instead of X11? for more details but basically: Reduced latency, better security.

See this thread, basically X11 is an old piece of software that has become big over time while not much functionality is used and it’s API is outdated. Wayland is new so cleaner code.

That said, X11 works and quite well, over time Wayland will replace it but that will take time. The more people that give it a try, the faster the switch will go.

1 Like

YMMV, but for me, my screen is always just a little bit stuttery / janky when using X11, while on a Wayland session motion seems much smoother (both window motions, and also things like videos/games).

So, I guess I’m the opposite of folks who are waiting for individual bugs in specific apps to be fixed - I’d rather have a few glitchy moments in specific situations but overall have the desktop experience feel smooth, than not have those occasional glitchy moments but have everything feel a bit sluggish.

(This is on two different machines, my AMD/Nvidia hybrid laptop, and my Nvidia-only desktop)

For me everything seems fine except Krita, which I need to use daily. The mouse cursors glitch and become irresponsive

Agree after trying. So far did not find any issues.

Wayland has less security problems on average.

Have been using Wayland for the last few months. For me no issues-AMD Raydeon.