KDE regional settigs crashing

Hello,

I’ve freshly installed Leap 15.2RC on my Thinkpad T450s. It mostly runs as expected. My biggest problem right now is, that I can’t enter the “Regional Settings” in “System Settings”. I get a red outlined warning “no preferred language selected” and then systemsettings crashes. Anything I can do about that, some specific package to install or setting (rc-file) to fix?

Kind regards, Chris

I don’t really know. Certainly, systemsettings should not be crashing for this.

When I open “Regional Settings” it shows American English as the default. I assume it is getting that from
Yast → System → Language
which shows (on my system) “English (US)” as the primary language.

Perhaps check that Yast setting. If you change anything there, it probably won’t be recognized by KDE until you logout or perhaps even reboot.

Checking the output of

printenv

I see that I have

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

but there is no definition for LOCALE

Not the most informative bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421551

But it does look perhaps to be the same as you are experiencing, perhaps add more relevant information to that bug report.

See 422636 – Cant change language in KDE / Regional settings to "American English" (without a second language)

Yes, true, but, type “locale” at a CLI prompt …

• man 7 locale
    ” has the detailed information. - “localectl
    ” and “localedef” control the system locale and keyboard layout settings and compile the locale definition files …

Thanks for the hints, but so far I haven’t been successful. I checked printenv and LOCALE, both have the following result:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

As KDE’s settings allow to start the modules individually, I can tell for certain, that it’s the Language-Setting inside the Regional Settings which crashes. It briefly comes up and I can recognize “American English”, but I can’t set a default language or add German, it’s gone to fast. Is there maybe a settings file that can be accessed?

It’s broken:

tester@localhost:~> systemsettings5 
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kcm/ScrollViewKCM.qml:62:13: QML Control: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcm_formats" : "Die dynamische Bibliothek konnte nicht gefunden werden."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcmspellchecking" : "Die dynamische Bibliothek konnte nicht gefunden werden."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcm_clock" : "Die dynamische Bibliothek konnte nicht gefunden werden."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_translations/contents/ui/main.qml:128:13: QML ColumnLayout: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
KCrash: Application 'systemsettings5' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi

[1]+  Angehalten              systemsettings5
tester@localhost:~> LANG=C systemsettings5
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kcm/ScrollViewKCM.qml:62:13: QML Control: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcm_formats" : "The shared library was not found."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcmspellchecking" : "The shared library was not found."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "C"
Couldn't load plugin "kcms/kcm_clock" : "The shared library was not found."  -- falling back to old-style loading from desktop file
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 13 and type 'Read', disabling...
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Re-raising signal for core dump handling.
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_translations/contents/ui/main.qml:211:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString
[1]-  Speicherzugriffsfehler  (Speicherabzug geschrieben) systemsettings5
tester@localhost:~>

But it succeeded adding both American English and Deutsch.

Does the systemd Core Dump (coredumpctl) indicate any core dump records?

I installed the necessary debugging symbols to enable backtracing and filed a bug with bugs.kde.org. There’s a very recent similar bug reported (#423220) and I added my bug notice to it. I haven’t done this before, so I hope I did everything right and it helps in correcting the bug.

I note that it has been marked as a duplicate of this KDE bug
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419008