kde is falling apart

Hello everyone and Season’s greetings. This is a difficult to explain problem.

Today I launched my opensuse and I noticed that it takes so much time for the kde to load . As I also receive some strange messages I took a picture of my desktop after the boot up process.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Few things
-Takes so much time to load (like 3 mins, was 30 secs before)
-there a problem top left corner of my screen “The process for the file protocol died unexpectecdly”. This is a small plasma widget showing the contents of a folder.
-The KMixCtrl crashes. There is only one sound device at my system which was always . This problem first appeared today.
-Bottom left of the corner: There was a virtual desktop switcher where you could swap between four different widgets. Right now only one icon is visible.
-whole system is not that responsive

I didnt change anything drastically in my system (not sure if any system upgrade was executed)

I tried to find and see if there any kde log files but could not find any.

some technical info are :
cat /etc/issue
Welcome to openSUSE 11.3 “Teal” - Kernel \r (\l).

kde 4.4.4 release 3.

kernels vmlinux-2.6.34.7-0.5-default.gz (and desktop version).

I mention again that I didnt change anything in my system. It seems that something went corrupted.
Could you please shed some light and help me?

REagrds
Alex

Please try the following steps:

1. At the prompt, type in: su - (followed by your password)
  2. Make sure that your are back at your ~/home/yourname directory
  3. Type in: mv .kde4 .kde4-backup
  4. Type in: rm -fR .kde4
  5. Type in shutdown -r now

Now KDE will recreate a new desktop setting. However, any settings that you had have been erased.

Copy back any settings from your .kde4-backup directory under. kde4/share/config.

Remember to have fun!

Romanator

It’d be interesting to see your repos

zypper lr -d

up’ing out of 4.4 into 4.5.3 or 4.6rc1 wouldn’t be a bad thing

Personally, I have updated to 4.5.4 and it is very stable with no crashes.

Romanator

I have also upgraded to 4.5.4 on my openSUSE 11.3 desktop and I haven’t experienced any bugs yet

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±-----------------------±-----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Main Update Repository | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
2 | NVIDIA Repository | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.3/ |
3 | Packman_11.3 | Packman 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3 |
4 | VLC_11.3 | VLC 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
5 | repo-11.3-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3 Non-OSS | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
6 | repo-11.3-oss | openSUSE-11.3 OSS | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
7 | repo-11.3-update | openSUSE-11.3 Updates | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |

I changed my repos to :

zypper lr -d

–±---------------------------±---------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.3_release_sc_4.5 | 11.3 release sc 4.5 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3 |
2 | 11.3_release_sc_4.5_extras | 11.3 release sc 4.5 extras | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Release_45 |
3 | Main Update Repository | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
4 | NVIDIA Repository | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.3/ |
5 | Packman_11.3 | Packman 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3 |
6 | VLC_11.3 | VLC 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3/

how to upgrade kde?

Regards

First you should do this as su -:

zypper rr 6

To remove the Videolan repo. It’s NOT needed.

then do

zypper dup -r 1

When done
Logout and back in
or reboot

I also had to add one more repos (11.3 oss)

now they look like that"

–±---------------------------±---------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.3_oss | 11.3 oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
2 | 11.3_release_sc_4.5 | 11.3 release sc 4.5 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3 |
3 | 11.3_release_sc_4.5_extras | 11.3 release sc 4.5 extras | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Release_45 |
4 | Main Update Repository | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
5 | NVIDIA Repository | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.3/ |
6 | Packman_11.3 | Packman 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3

can you please tell me how bad they look like now?
What is missing?
regards
alex

I confess I’m struggling here with a pet peeve. While KDE-4.5 is considered stable by the openSUSE team, it is not part of a regular openSUSE release.

Hence to state “KDE is falling apart” as a thread subject when one is using a KDE release that has not been officially tested as part of a released openSUSE version really grates on me. This is NOT a KDE forum. It is an openSUSE forum.

I had thought that clear.

If one wishes to do so I think this belongs in a different forum sub area (such as pre-release/beta).

I guess I have to bite my tongue on this one, but its a definite sore point with me as it leaves a bad impression on openSUSE where I believe it is NOT waranted.

OK

But now do

zypper dup -r 2

Reference my post, … I think I just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. … :shame: … so please don’t take offence. :X

did that …
it looked like i dowloaded lot of packages that were updated. Did a system reboot (turn off-turn on)
but still konsole says 4.4.4

still have the same problems.

any way to restart plasma?
any way to read some kde log files?
if there are not new options i will try to remove the files as you suggested me to do to force kde to start from scratch

Reagrds

I have to agree with that quoted, as simple fact. Hence the “thread subject” is inappropriate, and (IMO) more befitting a “soapbox” subject.

@alaios

You also need NON-OSS repo adding

Double check you have the packages switched by doing this
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Switcher%20Pics/package%20switch%20kde.png

Post result of
kde4-config -v

oldcpu wrote:
> If one wishes to do so I think this belongs in a different forum sub
> area (such as pre-release/beta).

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

i also think it is too bad that no forum monitors move threads
discussing BETA software to where they are supposed to be…

i were king (aren’t you glad i am not) there would be no more
announcements in tech news forum every time a new version of beta KDE
was released by the KDE developers…

those announcements should be for beta testers only, and therefore in
the same pre-release forum, OR only in a kde.org/forum

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
Programming: a race between software engineers building bigger/better
idiot-proof programs, and the universe building bigger/better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning. Rick Cook

I just had a similar “incident”. I am running KDE 4.5.4 from the 45 repo.
I had to get to a terminal (alt-clt-F1) *and ran yast, looking at status of my files in the 45repo.
There were three dbus files that were very recently updated.
Loaded them, log out, log back in and all looks good again.

I understand oldcpu’s mini-rant, but with so many running the newer desktops it would be really nice if there were a way to say “OK, I am a wild and crazy guy and running beta stuff, but please add this (45)repo to my ‘autoupdate’ to keep my craziness up-to-date”*

That would involve much extra work for them. There are more users now interested in upgrading from these additional repos. As @oldcpu pointed out, openSUSE regards them as offering reasonably stable (compared to Factory) upgrades, and makes those available in repos for 11.x distributions. Correct me if I am wrong, but KDE 4.5.4 is not a BETA, and other dstros have provided it as an official update.

You probably have a point with regard to any subsequent KDE 4.5 releases that are considered to be 4.6 betas.

cmcgrath5035 wrote:
> I understand oldcpu’s mini-rant, but with so many running the newer
> desktops it would be really nice if

imHo, it would be really nice if those “so many” posted to the correct
forum (hint: this is not it)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
Programming: a race between software engineers building bigger/better
idiot-proof programs, and the universe building bigger/better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning. Rick Cook