KDE Dolphin Sharing Tab Missing

I’ve had a relatively smooth process installing and configuring 42.1, but have found one issue I can’t solve.

When I look at a folders properties in Dolphin (kde5), I only have the “General” and “Permissions” tabs. The “sharing” tab is missing.
My previous version of Opensuse w/ KDE4 had the sharing tab.

Is this normal?
Can anyone help me get the sharing tab?

Wow, apparently the KDE developers decided that basic function isn’t necessary anymore and it is not there by design. (Hopefully that’s a temporary thing)

Luckily, my system still has dolphin4 installed. I don’t know if everyone’s does, because I upgraded, rather than a fresh install.

But the solution for me is to start “dolphin4” instead of “dolphin”.

I only see a sharing tab for folders that are set to share in samba. Have you set up samba?

No, they didn’t decide that.

It simply got lost/forgotten in the development of KF5.
It has been readded recently though.

See 351699 – Whereis Share Folder.

It will be part of the next KDE Applications release 15.12.0. (I have no idea whether this will get released as update for Leap though, it’s not a bugfix release)

As for “basic function”, well I never used it at all in the last 12 years… :wink:

Luckily, my system still has dolphin4 installed. I don’t know if everyone’s does, because I upgraded, rather than a fresh install.

But the solution for me is to start “dolphin4” instead of “dolphin”.

Dolphin4 is basically just included so that Konqueror (it has not been ported to KF5 yet) still works as file manager, but yes, it can be run on its own, and everybody should have it installed by default.

This functionality is not and never was part of dolphin itself though, actually it’s completely unrelated to dolphin.
It’s a plugin to the “Properties” dialog (which is part of kdelibs) and is in the package kdenetwork4-filesharing.