KDE desktop unusable after booting

After booting my media box today the display is filled with what would normally be the top left quarter (at a guess) of the normal KDE desktop; huge font; cannot navigate to any parts of the desktop sat outside of this top left quarter.

I can ssh into the box to obtain a console; what can I do from a console to recover my normal display? e.g. force a re-generation of some display defaults. Note I am running the box with Wayland, have been doing so for months without any problems. I really do not want to re-install.

Please ignore and close. If I boot into the ASUS UEFI BIOS utility I am getting the same effect; this is presumably a hardware failure.

This could be a BIOS issue. Try a BIOS soft reset (load defaults) first. If that fails, power it off, remove power cord, take the cover off, and use the BIOS reset jumper according to manual instructions, or remove the CMOS battery for an hour or several minutes or whatever the manual suggests to make BIOS forget all settings. Also check the battery voltage. It might be due for replacement. Most PCs use a common east to change 3 volt #2032 coin cell.

The normally very reliable Samsung TV had crashed, I had to cycle the physical TV power (not just standby) to recover the TV. openSUSE’s honour is maintained.