KDE and GNOME together???

Hi,
am very new to linux and have opensuse 10.3 with KDE.i’ve read some place on the internet that u can use both desktops (KDE and GNOME together), provided u got them installed during initial installation of linux on your system. can switch between them by logging in and logging off choosing the desired manager.

i was thinking whether there’s any way to install GNOME also on the same system which is running KDE at present (without removing KDE)?

if so, kindly guide through the process or suggest me a link from where i could get the relevant information.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:36:04 GMT
rcparikh <rcparikh@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Hi,
> am very new to linux and have opensuse 10.3 with KDE.i’ve read some
> place on the internet that u can use both desktops (KDE and GNOME
> together), provided u got them installed during initial installation
> of linux on your system. can switch between them by logging in and
> logging off choosing the desired manager.
>
> i was thinking whether there’s any way to install GNOME also on the
> same system which is running KDE at present (without removing KDE)?
>
> if so, kindly guide through the process or suggest me a link from
> where i could get the relevant information.
>
>
Hi
You just need to run YaST -> Software and select/install via the
‘Pattern’ selection for Gnome.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10 SP2 i586 Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.23-default
up 1 day 11:12, 2 users, load average: 1.03, 0.61, 0.59
GPU GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE Version: 173.14.09

I asked the same question a few days ago. here is a answer I got but not sure if it works under opensuse 10.3, I am using 11.0.

log out of your current session, then, at the log-in screen, down the bottom-left of your screen, you will see sessions button. click on it & select your DE of choice

Andy

SETI Team
Einstein Team

that only works if you have already installed both (or others)…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

Installing gnome will never make you uninstall kde, you can have several desktop environments and window managers installed at the same time. But as stated just open Yast, switch filter to patterns, and mark Gnome desktop environment. Then it’s just a matter of hitting apply, wait and switch session next time you log in. :wink: