I’ve been using opensuse 11.1 with KDE 4.2 for quite some time, and recently moved to the “stable” 4.2 repository. Things have generally been smooth.
Today, when I logged in, I saw something strange: The applications I had open when I logged out, did not start automatically. I found that a little strange. Then I realized my desktop was partially borked in other ways; the most troublesome was, my multiple-keyboard-layout setting was gone. I couldn’t switch to my second language, Hebrew.
So I opened the desktop settings; the list of languages was empty. I added Hebrew, and then I could switch languages. Thought I had things fixed. But not quite – this set Hebrew as my main interface language. I want US-English, but it is nowhere to be found nor added.
I found that I can lower the priority of Hebrew – the region/language dialog behaves as if I have two languages, Hebrew and (empty). This had no effect – the interface is still Hebrew. I searched for a kde4-l10n-en_US package, but none is to be found.
In trying to research the problem, I found that I have both a .kde and a .kde4 folder, files like share/config/kdeglobals are recently updated in both, with different contents. I am a little at a loss.
I see some red packages – some to do with Strigi (kde desktop search), some with suse branding, a few others. I had the impression that these packages have more advanced version numbers than non-red packages (e.g. some Soprano packages said 4.3.1). Also, there were some blue.
What do the colors mean? Does red mean “not available in current repositories”, i.e. a kde4-factory left-over?
As for the language, I am from USA, however I prefer my language being set to EN-UK. You can use YaST to set the system language, and you can have your interface set in KDE settings. Above the box that has languages there is a bit of blue underlined text, and that allows you to set your region (and clock/money) to a locale.
I did as recommended, and this indeed got rid of almost all red packages; the remaining ones, I don’t care that much about, so I’ll leave it at that. Thanks.
I was able to solve the UI language problem by just removing Hebrew. Now I only got a selectable empty line in the languages list, and the interface for all programs seems to be en-US, and I also can change the keyboard to Hebrew. I don’t know how stable or correct this is, but it seems to work for now.