K3b can't find cdrecord

Whenever I open K3b I’m presented with this:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3752/k3bproblem.png](http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/k3bproblem.png/)

I checked and cdrtools and cdrecord are installed.

> zypper se cdrtools
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                   | Summary                                                | Type   
--+------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+--------
i | cdrkit-cdrtools-compat | Tool for Writing CDRs - cdrtools Compatibility Package | package

> which cdrecord
cdrecord is /usr/bin/cdrecord
cdrecord is /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord

Has anyone seen this before? Can I just ignore it?

Thanks.

Which version of openSUSE?

/usr/bin/cdrecord is a symbolic link to /usr/bin/wodim
Make sure that the wodim package is installed.

:~ # l /usr/bin/cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Feb  8 21:02 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim*

:~ # l /usr/bin/X11
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Feb  8 19:46 /usr/bin/X11 -> ./

:~ # zypper in -f wodim
Forcing installation of 'wodim-1.1.11-10.1.1.x86_64' from repository '12.3-repo-oss'.
Resolving package dependencies...

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
  wodim 

1 package to reinstall.
Overall download size: 379.9 KiB. No additional space will be used or freed after the operation.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): 
Retrieving package wodim-1.1.11-10.1.1.x86_64                                                  (1/1), 379.9 KiB (  1.2 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: wodim-1.1.11-10.1.1.x86_64.rpm ...................................................................................[done]
(1/1) Installing: wodim-1.1.11-10.1.1 ........................................................................................[done]

:~ #

Sorry. It’s 12.3 (KDE 4.10)

Make sure that the wodim package is installed.

It is.

> zypper se wodim

S | Name  | Summary               | Type   
--+-------+-----------------------+--------
i | wodim | Tool for Writing CDRs | package

Sorry, but that just shows that the package had been installed and has not been uninstalled with rpm or YaST, etc. K3B complained that it could not find a file, so you should look to see if the file is there and/or reinstall it. The code I provided checks whether the binary (/usr/bin/wodim) and the required symbolic links are in place.

On 2013-03-21 21:26, eng-int wrote:
> Sorry, but that just shows that the package had been installed and has
> not been uninstalled with rpm or YaST, etc. K3B complained that it
> could not find a file, so you should look to see if the file is there
> and/or reinstall it. The code I provided checks whether the binary
> (-/usr/bin/wodim-) and the required symbolic links are in place.

If you start k3b, go to settings, then configure k3b. On that dialog,
click on “programs” on the left hand panel. Once there, click on the
“search” button. It should find the applications you have installed.
Then “OK” to exit.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Ah, that was it. Thank you.

Why isn’t this automatic? Just asking.

I have the same problem, when I search for cdrecord, it is missing from my machine and seems to be missing from the repositories. I deleted all of K3B and installed Brasero thinking it would work, but it needs the same file package. Any thoughts.???

Install the package “cdrkit-cdrtools-compat”.This contains compatibility symlinks for cdrecord and some other burning tools to the cdrkit equivalents (wodim and so on).

But AFAICS k3b does require /usr/bin/cdrecord, so the necessary packages should be installed automatically…
And the same is true for brasero.

How did you install them?
Try to reinstall the “cdrkit-cdrtools-compat” package, maybe those symlinks got deleted somehow:

sudo zypper in -f cdrkit-cdrtools-compat

On 2013-12-28 23:06, cherock1254 wrote:
>
> I have the same problem, when I search for cdrecord, it is missing from
> my machine and seems to be missing from the repositories. I deleted all
> of K3B and installed Brasero thinking it would work, but it needs the
> same file package. Any thoughts.???

Elessar:~ # which cdrecord
/usr/bin/cdrecord
Elessar:~ # rpm -qf /usr/bin/cdrecord
cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.11-16.1.3.x86_64
Elessar:~ # l /usr/bin/cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Nov  6 20:52 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim*
Elessar:~ # l /usr/bin/wodim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 410344 Sep 28 04:44 /usr/bin/wodim*
Elessar:~ # rpm -qf /usr/bin/wodim
wodim-1.1.11-16.1.3.x86_64
Elessar:~ #

There is also the original version (cdrtools) from Joerg Schilling, at the repo “multimedia:apps”
(see wikipedia for explanation).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Elessar))

Is there any other cc/dvd burning applications? I have no idea why both Brasero and K3b are screwed up. cdrecord, is missing. I have deleted and then re-installed cdrtools, twice. K3b disappears once I move the MP3 files to create an audio project. Brasero goes to normalizing mode and stays there till I cancel. I have never had this problem on K3b in any of the previous versions, I am on Suse 13.1. I have loaded all the codecs, mp3 libraries, wodim and still nothing. I am starting to get the short hairs standing out on my neck, now and I sure don’t want to blow…

Not any that I am aware of that doesn’t use cdrecord, except for Nero, but I don’t know if this even still exists. Never used that.

I have no idea why both Brasero and K3b are screwed up. cdrecord, is missing. I have deleted and then re-installed cdrtools, twice.

What do you mean with “crecord, is missing”?
If you installed “cdrkit-cdrecord-compat” it should be there. What does “ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord” say?

K3b disappears once I move the MP3 files to create an audio project.

What does that mean?
And which k3b version do you have installed?

2.0.80git that was available from Packman for a while had some crashes and got reverted to 2.0.2. But unfortunately the package won’t be downgraded automatically, you have to do that manually. Right-click on it in YaST and select “Update Unconditionally” or run this:

suduo zypper in -f k3b-2.0.2

Brasero goes to normalizing mode and stays there till I cancel. I have never had this problem on K3b in any of the previous versions, I am on Suse 13.1. I have loaded all the codecs, mp3 libraries, wodim and still nothing. I am starting to get the short hairs standing out on my neck, now and I sure don’t want to blow…

Don’t know about that problem.

But as already was suggested, you could also try to install the original cdrecord (cdrtools) from here:
software.opensuse.org: Install package multimedia:apps / cdrtools

I finally just un-installed both Brasero and K3b with all of their dependencies, rebooted the machine and then re-installed… K3B is working now, Brasero is not, but at least I have the most important one running now. I appreciate all the help from each of you who provided guidance to resolve the problem. Thank You…