JEdit problem

12.3, 3.7.10-1.16-desktop, KDE environment.

I installed JEdit (the Java Editor). The problem is that when I started it for the first time, it appeared it was lacking the welcome file, and now each time I launch it I get “/doc/tips not found”. How can I get the welcome file and the doc/tips directory?

You could download these files from sourceforge: Download jEdit from SourceForge.net

But better file a bugreport, to get the files added to the openSUSE package.

regards,
Hendrik

riderplus wrote:
>
> 12.3, 3.7.10-1.16-desktop, KDE environment.
>
> I installed JEdit (the Java Editor). The problem is that when I started
> it for the first time, it appeared it was lacking the welcome file, and
> now each time I launch it I get “/doc/tips not found”. How can I get the
> welcome file and the doc/tips directory?
>
>
docs are present but not where jedit expects them to be
docs are in /usr/share/doc/packages/jedit/
but jedit expects them to be in /usr/share/jedit/doc/

GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

On 2013-09-29 03:23, vazhavandan wrote:

> docs are present but not where jedit expects them to be
> docs are in /usr/share/doc/packages/jedit/
> but jedit expects them to be in /usr/share/jedit/doc/

Well, IMO, jedit should be changed to expect them at /usr/share/doc/,
because that’s the standard place for docs to be in Linux.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Thank you all for your replies.
Should I file a bug? It’s not a big issue I think, but it affects openSuse users.

On 2013-09-29 15:56, riderplus wrote:
>
> Thank you all for your replies.
> Should I file a bug? It’s not a big issue I think, but it affects
> openSuse users.

Yes, please :slight_smile:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Sure, Carlos :slight_smile:
I came back after a long other-Linux-distro-break…I’m freshly installed on openSUSE, best distro so far.

Hi you guys!

I just wanted to let you know I filed the bug as requested HERE

Well, since this is an openSUSE packaging bug, you should better report it at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ IMHO.
You can use the same username/password as here in the forums.

wolfi323 wrote:
>
> riderplus;2590677 Wrote:
>> Hi you guys!
>>
>> I just wanted to let you know I filed the bug as requested ‘HERE’
>> (http://tinyurl.com/lhvt22z)
> Well, since this is an openSUSE packaging bug, you should better report
> it at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ IMHO.
> You can use the same username/password as here in the forums.
>
>

comment from ticket in sourceforge

Date: 2013-10-11 10:24:54 PDT
Sender: ezustProject AdminAccepting Donations
opensuse is an RPM-based distro, if I am not mistaken. That means someone
at opensuse made the package and that is out of my control. I think this is
a ticket you must open on opensuse’s tracker, since it seem related to
their particular packaging of jEdit.


GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

On 2013-10-11 19:56, wolfi323 wrote:

> Well, since this is an openSUSE packaging bug, you should better report
> it at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ IMHO.
> You can use the same username/password as here in the forums.

openSUSE:Submitting bug
reports


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Thank you for your help. It’s better that I firstly reported the bug on sourceforge, it’s surely a package issue :slight_smile: I filed a bug on bugzilla HERE

I hope that someone really fixes this bug as I like jedit tips and Help.:wink:

Well, feel free to branch the package on OBS, fix it yourself and submit the fix back. :wink:

It doesn’t look like anybody cares unfortunately…

Actually the docs have even been removed completely from the package meanwhile.
There’s this comment in the spec file:

# Run the build  
# XXX: there's NPE on build-docs, but who care about html docs those times, right? 

NPE means Null-Pointer-Exception I suppose, so it seems there are problems building them.