Issue with Hibernate restarrting the PC immediately

Just recently I have been having a problem with my TW KDE system hibernating OK but immediately powering the PC back on and resuming. If I’m quick I can hit the power button for 4 seconds and power off without messing up a resume. Next time I power it up it resumes OK. This is somewhat annoying as it used to hibernate and power off and stay off until I tweaked the USB mouse and up it came. Anyone any ideas please? TW is fully updated btw.

Stuart

Can you boot with an earlier kernel? Does it then work as expected?

I will try that, although it has worked OK on at least one occasion with current one.

Stuart

Yes, worth checking for a possible kernel regression (and bug report if necessary). Also make sure that swap is big enough.

No it still fails. The journal shows a failure to hibernate as a dependency issue although not sure what that means. Strange that if I hit the power key to force it off it seems to resume OK. Swap is 10gb memory is 8gb.

Jun 26 20:59:36 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd-sleep[2282]: INFO: running /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/grub2.sleep for hibernate
Jun 26 21:00:03 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 26 21:00:03 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 26 21:00:03 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd[1]: hibernate.target: Job hibernate.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Jun 26 21:02:24 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd-sleep[3219]: INFO: running /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/grub2.sleep for hibernate
Jun 26 21:03:13 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd-sleep[3219]: INFO: running /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/grub2.sleep for hibernate
Jun 26 21:03:14 Tumbleweed.Crowhill systemd[1]: hibernate.target: Unit not needed anymore. Stopping.

Stuart

Been doing a bit more testing. Last night I did a hibernate from the menu but using the keyboard windows key and pointer keys rather than the mouse and it worked perfectly and resumed this morning no problem. Both keyboard and mouse are USB, and the system wakes up using the mouse OK providing the power has not been turned off at the wall socket, if it has I need to use the power button. So now even more puzzled as no errors shown in journal from the hibernate.

Stuart

Spoke too soon. Using the keyboard does not always work, sometimes it still resumes immediately. It does power down OK all the time whichever method I use but immediately powers back up and resumes. This has to be something to do with USB. Both keyboard and mouse are USB and connect via a KVM switch. When it was working OK prior to this happening I could get it to come back on and resume by moving the mouse. It always resumes OK if I hit the power key to force it off so the hibernate was indeed working. This is minor I know but annoying just the same.

Any suggestions please?

Stuart

Do you suspect that it is the KVM switch that is preventing the hibernation? Can you plug the keyboard and mouse directly for test purposes to eliminate the KVM switch?

No I dont suspect the KVM, nothing has changed in the h/w setup it has always been like this and used to work perfectly.

Stuart

Yes, it’s not clear to me what might have changed here, but often these things are hardware specific and perhaps changes in the kernel expose these quirks unintentionally sometimes. A bug report might be required to help progress this.

BIOS and motherboard info might be relevant here

sudo dmidecode -t BIOS -t 2

Also, check the following perhaps

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
sudo /usr/sbin/ethtool eth0 | grep Wake-on

FWIW, I wanted to share this archlinux thread with you, only because similar symptoms were being described, and it was found that buggy BIOS was the underlying cause (and a subsequent BIOS upgrade was needed to resolve), although there were some other workarounds discussed as well. In particular, read post #36 onwards.

That’s about all I can offer here.

Well here is the output from those commands

# dmidecode 3.1
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASRock
        Product Name: 890FX Deluxe5
        Version:                       
        Serial Number:                       
        Asset Tag:                       
        Features:
                Board is a hosting board
                Board is replaceable
        Location In Chassis:                       
        Chassis Handle: 0x0003
        Type: Motherboard
        Contained Object Handles: 0

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: P2.00
        Release Date: 05/29/2012
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 4096 kB
        Characteristics:
                PCI is supported
                BIOS is upgradeable
                BIOS shadowing is allowed
                Boot from CD is supported
                Selectable boot is supported
                BIOS ROM is socketed
                EDD is supported
                5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                ACPI is supported
                USB legacy is supported
                BIOS boot specification is supported
                Targeted content distribution is supported
        BIOS Revision: 4.6

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
PC02      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:02.0
PC04      S4    *disabled
PC05      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:05.0
PC06      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:06.0
PC09      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:09.0
PC0A      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:0a.0
PC0B      S4    *disabled
PC0D      S4    *disabled
SBAZ      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:14.2
PS2K      S4    *disabled
PS2M      S4    *disabled
UAR1      S4    *disabled  pnp:00:08
P0PC      S4    *disabled  pci:0000:00:14.4
UHC1      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:12.0
UHC2      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:12.2
USB3      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:13.0
UHC4      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:13.2
USB5      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:16.0
UHC6      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:16.2
UHC7      S4    *enabled   pci:0000:00:14.5
PE20      S4    *disabled
PE21      S4    *disabled

/usr/sbin/ethtool enp5s0 | grep Wake-on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d

Note BIOS is old but only one update since dated 2012/6/13 which is for Windows 8 shutdown behaviour.

Also found that if I turn off the mouse prior to using the windows key to access the menu and do hibernate it seems to work OK. So it would seem that the mouse has something to do with it.

Stuart

Note BIOS is old but only one update since dated 2012/6/13 which is for Windows 8 shutdown behaviour.

Right, thanks.

Also found that if I turn off the mouse prior to using the windows key to access the menu and do hibernate it seems to work OK. So it would seem that the mouse has something to do with it.

Stuart

It certainly is strange. Does it make a difference as to which port the KVM is plugged in to? USB2 or USB 3 ports?

I’ve not tried USB3 ports it always did work in USB2 OK before.

Stuart

I’m out of ideas with this. Submitting a bug report is probably your best way forward here.

For various reasons I had not been able to follow up on this for a couple of weeks. After updating my TW install earlier this week my hibernate now works as before with no immediate restarts. So I’m guessing that something has changed somewhere which fixed it. Not easy to tell what as it was not updated for a couple of weeks and so when I did update it there were several hundred fixes!

Stuart