Is there something lighter than GIMP?

I find GIMP quite confusing. Is there something lighter? My main functions required is to be able to change the size of images both ratio-wise and un-uniformly and to be able to crop them. Covert between formats. Don’t need all the bells and wistles GIMP has.

The functionalities you described are very well supported by gimp. Of course, gump is a bit complicated because it can do sooo many things. However, you don’t have to know it fully to use it for things like what you described.
I tried other programs but I always found that gimp can do the work and most others had problems. However, I am not a graphic designer and I do only very silly stuff.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

You can always add something like Picasa. Same type of app but made for
picture management more and less-advanced manipulation.

Good luck.

stubble wrote:
> I find GIMP quite confusing. Is there something lighter? My main
> functions required is to be able to change the size of images both
> ratio-wise and un-uniformly and to be able to crop them. Covert between
> formats. Don’t need all the bells and wistles GIMP has.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=Dlex
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

You could try Krita

Yeah imagemagick you said light weight not sure you get much light weight than that.

Hope you weren’t expecting a nice gui though.
ImageMagick v6 Examples

If you only working with photos Gwenview Introducing KDE 4: Gwenview will do what you need

/Geoff

Right, Gwenview is IT for simple daily tasks like viewing, resizing.

Using ImageMagick’s convert command, you can do lots from the command line–no GUI at all. Very handy for scripting resize and sharpening parameters for hundreds of shots, for example.
HTH

I don’t find any of these feature under KDE 3.5 Gwenview. Are they new with KDE4 (I’ve been trying to avoid it).

If you have the Packman repository installed, I personally like the program “Kim”. You will not crop and do real elaboration but for resizing etc, it is great and works perfect with KDE 3.5.

From the description:

*kim - Kim is a very useful images Kde servicemenu

Kim is a kde service menu which allows to resize, convert, rotate, ( …) your images without to use a graphical application like Gimp! This service menu can be considered as a frontend of ImageMagick.
Main features of Kim: Compress and resize * Compress to 70%, 80%, 90% or other, * Resize to 300x225, 600x450, 800x600, 1024x768, 1200x900 px or other, * Resize and compress for the web.
Convert and rotate * Convert in JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF or other, * Rotate images.
Treatment and publication * Rename images, * Convert in grayscale, * Add a whith or black border, * Watermarck images, * Send by mail resized images.*

Yes it is with KDE4 Gwenview. Give KDE4.2 a shot it’s safe now:)