Is it possible to replace Android with openSUSE on a smartphone?

The stories about the spyware features of Android which I found on the web got me thinking what would be the way to break free from this which took me to the question:

Is it possible to install openSUSE on a smartphone (e.g. on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini) as the main OS, completely replacing the Android system? If yes - what would be the way to do it, how would it handle phone calls etc…

I found this by googling but I am not sure if it is the answer to my question. IIUC it is running inside an app (linuxandroid) on top of Android? How does it actually work - like a virtual machine on top of Android or similar a dual-boot PC with separate GRUB entries for openSUSE and Android?

I hope someone could shed more light on the topic.

I do not think so. For a start, you probably would lose support for the most interesting hardware. Tablet without mobile support could work though.

I found this by googling but I am not sure if it is the answer to my question. IIUC it is running inside an app (linuxandroid) on top of Android? How does it actually work - like a virtual machine on top of Android

Yes. If you follow link in the article you mentioned you will read

After exiting the chroot terminal, openSUSE services will be stopped, no changes to your android system is made.

Thanks for explaining.

Alternatively, you could buy a new Linux smartphone with Android compatibility: https://jolla.com/jolla/

Interesting. I didn’t know about that project. But I read their software has proprietary pieces.

There are a number of open source versions of android available, that one can install on many of the smart phones that are on the market today.

There are downsides to doing such an upgrade.

• If the phone is under warranty, one typically breaks the warranty
  • One can brick their phone doing such. I recently bricked my Chinese Zopo ZP980+ by doing such an attempted Android version up date, … but Iwas subsequently also fortunate to recover from the ‘brick’ by conducting a very low level recovery requiring an external PC to repair the smartphone’s boot loader and OS. Eventually I did succeed in updating the Android on my phone. All in all, it was a superb learning (and fun because of the success) experience.
  • often the 3rd party packaged Android versions do not give one’s phone the full functionality, as they may not have gone through the full level of testing that the “official” android ROM has gone through

I am NOT an expert on this – so I can NOT point one to any all encompassing / up to date list of what is available. My guess is the list is dynamic.

Some possible links:

An excellent English language forum to go to so to discuss what is available is http://forum.xda-developers.com/.

And back to the thread Title - this is NOT possible with openSUSE and Leap, but one can still have a lot of fun with what is available , as long as one keeps in mind the real possibility that they could permanently ‘brick’ their phone, if all does not go well.

Thanks! I will look into more options.

See this LWN article http://lwn.net/Articles/662147/ as to why it isn’t very feasible.

jeff

Not sure how to use it practically but it was interesting to read. Thanks.