IPv6 and how to get it?

I am wondering how folks here manage if their ISP does not (yet) support IPv6? Here in the UK many ISPs do not support IPv6 and folks have to rely on a tunnelling solution. There is a package called Miredo available for Linux but there is no ready built package available and I have compiled the source but it fails to run because of a missing module which I cannot find for openSUSE. I have a Fedora 24 test machine which does have a package for Miredo and it works fine so at present that’s my only way of accessing IPv6 only sites. Now granted there are not (yet) many IPv6 only sites but they will become more and more prevalent. The Windows environment uses an add-on for Teredo which I gather has been included for some time from XP upwards.

So is there an equivalent to Miredo available for openSUSE, how do others manage when they do not have IPv6 native? Is it likely that Miredo might be built as a package for openSUSE?

Stuart

Hi
It’s available in the network repository;
https://software.opensuse.org/package/miredo

Seems to have not been updated (by the developer) in a few years.

Yes I did see that but it is not the latest update which I have downloaded and compiled but fails at run time with a missing file which as I said I have been unable to find an opensSUSE package (source or binary) containing it. I will compile this package but am not optimistic it will work.

Stuart

At least in North America,
Everyone I know of, and every lecture I’ve attended used the Hurricane Electric IPv6 broker
Of course, this tunnel broker has gateways around the world including Europe (read the link that follows)

https://tunnelbroker.net/

There can be different types of tunnels, if Miredo hasn’t been updated/upgraded in 3 yrs, I’d be wary if the broker still works well.

TSU

If Teredo did not exist my Fedora system would not work and all the Microsoft systems I am aware of use Teredo as well.

Stuart

I would not start now with Teredo/Miredo. The tunnel is outdated. You say you are live in UK. In UK 16% of the users should have already native IPv6-connectivity.

And if you think you still need a tunnel, then do it at the router, not at the client-OS.

Thomas

You may be correct about 16% but that still leaves 84% who dont. As I pointed out all Microsoft systems use Teredo as its included in all their OSs from XP through to 10. Meredo may be old but on Fedora 24 it works. Right now I am trying to get my ISP (a large UK ISP by the way and NOT BT) who have no plans to provide IPv6 connectivity any time soon to change their minds and do it now.

Doing it on my router may well be possible but right now I have no idea if on my router this is possible but is something I will look into. One issue here (and I dont know how much you know about the UK connectivity) but re-booting a router here in the UK means at least 30 minutes between taking it down and bringing it up again in order to avoid Dynamic Line Management kicking in thinking you have a problem, also you absolutely need to minimise the number of re-boots in a 24 hour period again to avoid DLM getting involved. So testing such a router change is problematic.

Stuart

On Mon 14 Nov 2016 05:36:01 PM CST, broadstairs wrote:

Yes I did see that but it is not the latest update which I have
downloaded and compiled but fails at run time with a missing file which
as I said I have been unable to find an opensSUSE package (source or
binary) containing it. I will compile this package but am not optimistic
it will work.

Stuart

Hi
I don’t see much of a difference between 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 a translation
update and some configure options. Perhaps some more details on what
isn’t working, what package is missing? Your using the client and
enable/start the systemd service?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Starting my compiled version of miredo says libtun6.so.0 is missing.

Stuart

On Tue 15 Nov 2016 07:46:01 AM CST, broadstairs wrote:

Starting my compiled version of miredo says libtun6.so.0 is missing.

Stuart

Hi
So did the libraries get built and installed in the standard lib
directory? They are part of the miedo source.

If not, then you need to add the location of the libs into a conf file
in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and run (which need to do any time installing
libs) is run the ldconfig comand.

Have a look at the spec file to see how it’s built;

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks Malcolm, its the first time I’ve ever compiled anything which added libraries so was not familiar with that part and it all works just tine now.

I do need to try to get my UK ISP to take IPv6 seriously as well as that is the proper solution to all of this.

Stuart

Hi Stuart
Good work :slight_smile:

If you do want to play with ipv6, then look at setting it up locally and playing with it :wink: